Chapter 32

~~Souji's POV~~

I wake up groggily but notice something. Sakura was laying next to me on her side. She was curled up with fingers intertwined in mine with her other hand holding our hands together to her chest. I grin at her sleepy face.

'I'm sorry.'

Something whispers in my ear. I recognize it as her voice.

'I know it hurts but hold on a little longer. I'm sorry I'm doing this to you. I know this is torture.'

What? Was this last night?

'I wish I could take it away from you but it doesn't matter as long as you live.'

Last night... The ambush.

'I know that you're prepared to die at any moment for this job, for Kondou-San but... I want you to live. It's selfish and this is unnatural but... Please... Live... For the Shinsengumi, for Kondou-San... For me...'

She was worried.... I was stabbed from behind!

'I didn't tell them that this could kill you if you couldn't hold on. I lied again. Just like I've been lying to you. Souji... If you don't make it it'll be all my fault... It'll be all my fault.'

I look at her sleeping figure that contrasted greatly from the face he imagined from last night.

'I know you've been sick. I guess you figured it out with all the hints I've given from my investigation on you. But... I was selfish again so I started giving you medication in your food in secret. You started to get better so I was blindsided to the fact that it wouldn't work if you got injured like this...'

How did she...?

'If you die I'll leave the Shinsengumi. Because someone like me doesn't deserve to be with people like you and the Shinsengumi. Just know that whatever happens, I always cared for all of them, for you above everything else.... Just... Live! Damnit! Wake up! I don't want you to die! I don't want to leave! Stop being a damn tease and wake up! I...'

No more outbursts came. But what was she gonna say? Why did it cut off there? He grinned down at her. So she cared about me...

I want to test something...

~~Sakura's POV~~

I feel the hand I'm holding being pulled away. In a panic I pull it back to me without thinking and someone falls against me. I open my eyes and its Souji.

I let out a yelp and push him back. "Souji!?" He laughs.

"Yeah, yeah I'm al-" My body jumps on to him in a tight embrace.

"I hate you." I whisper, showing no sign of letting go with clenched eyes. He chuckles again.

"Thanks to you I'm okay. But by the way... I heard what you said." I pull back confused.

"What? I didn't say anything all night because I was so worried." He grins. Well except for a few words...

"Does that mean I was hearing your thoughts?" I feel my cheeks redden.

"No! Prove it!" I yell in disbelief and embarrassment.

"You said you'd leave the Shinsengumi if I died." My eyes widen. I did think that...