Chapter 34

In the morning I make it back when everyone is heading to breakfast. I was exhausted. "Sakura!?" I hear Heisuke yell making me wince.

"Quiet down." I say as he runs over.

"You're dressed like a geisha!" I nod laughing at his enthusiasm.

"Yes, I had some work at Shimabarra."

"Woah! Is that Sakura?" I hear Shinpachi ask. Him and Sano come over smirking.

"I didn't think I'd get to see you dressed up like this again." Sano says.

"Okay, whatever. I just wanna wash up and sleep." I say trying to walk away.

"Wait until Souji sees." Shinpachi laughs as they drag me along to where everyone is eating breakfast.

"You're all late. Why?" Hijikata asks.

"We ran into Sakura!" Heisuke says and they all walk in to reveal my smirking figure. Everyone's eyes widen.

"It was for work." I explain. "Can I go wash up and sleep?" Souji smirks at me and goes up to me.

"Yes, you look beautiful Sakura." Kondou-San says making me smile.

"At least I can do this." He says planting a kiss on me. I laugh.

"And I can do this." I go on my toes to reach as I press a hard kiss to his forehead.

"What was that?" I smirk pointing to my faded lips.

"I marked you." Everyone laughs when he turns around at the kiss on his forehead. I just go grinning to get ready for sleep.

~~~

"Wake up." Someone whispers in my ear.

"No." I mumble childishly making him chuckle.

"You need to eat."

"No."

"I brought food."

"No." He laughs and I feel his arm snake around me. I hum contently. "Wake up." I groan but sit up.

"You need to eat." Souji says.

"I don't want to. I want to sleep."

"I was ordered to have you eat even if I had to force you."

"By who?"

"Hijikata-San. Because you haven't ate since yesterday." I grin. "Come on, open up." He says with a spoonful of soup.

"What!? No I can feed-" He shoves it in my mouth. I narrow my eyes as I swallow. "Souji-" Another is shoved in my mouth.

"I kinda want to feed you." He says shyly. I can't help my own blush but open my mouth when he gets another spoonful.

We continue this until I'm fully fed. "Okay, can I sleep now?" I ask him with a light smile.

"I guess that'll be enough for Hijikata-San." I grin sinking back into my futon. Souji however doesn't leave. Instead he slips in with me. "I don't think anyone will mind if I rest here with you." I laugh and turn to him.

"That's what you say until we both get a lecture from him." But I don't really care and I knew he didn't either. I lay my head on his chest listening to his heart beat reassuringly.

Why was it reassuring? Why did I enjoy the sound? Maybe because for the first time in my life, I know deep down that this heartbeat is the one that will never betray me. It is strong and true. The Shinsengumi all had the same heart but this is the heart that I wouldn't mind listening to each night. This man, this place... It would be my undoing...