Chapter 2: The Boy in the Black Cloak

McManus chuckled as he went back to his computer, reminiscent on the days when Dré was only knee high. He'd known Dré all his life, basically becoming another uncle to him. It seemed like yesterday when he was just a little kid, those big, red eyes shining like polished garnet. Now he was smack dab in his awkward teen years, just like his own son, Lucius. "Man, I'm getting old."

A notification popped up on his laptop, taking him away from his thoughts; a missed call from Ichinose Kimachi. What could he want so early in the morning? McManus thought to himself before he clicked on the program. It brought up a black screen with the words CALLING IN PROGRESS across the void. Moments later, a figure appeared on the screen, a short Asian man with short, black hair and a pair of round glasses. "You do know what time it is, do you? And are you still wearing those fake glasses?"

"Early enough," Ichinose stated. McManus was envious of Ichi's baritone voice, even if it didn't fit his youthful face. If he didn't know any better, McManus would've assumed that he was just another student. He put a finger through the empty lenses. "How else will people know how much of a genius I am if I don't look the part? Do you have the list prepared?"

McManus inclined an eyebrow. It was odd for him to ask about it, considering that he was going to give him the list of possible Apprentices at the academy. Pulling an SD card from his breast pocket, he said, "I figured that you'd want this when I get to the academy."

"I do," Ichi began. "I just want to make sure that you haven't been dragging your heels about it."

"Did you really just call at eight-thirty in the freaking morning just to chaperone me?"

Ichi sighed, all the humor drained from his face. "I wish that I did. We've got a problem. A huge problem."

McManus frowned; he really didn't like the sounds of that. Inching closer to the monitor, he turned the volume down to barely a whisper. "What's going on?"

"One sec," he said as he typed away on his keyboard. "I believe that to receive a better understanding, I'll have you speak to the person that told me." Another blank screen appeared, only to shortly be replaced by a short, plump woman with a braid draped across her shoulder. Her dark blue tunic was adorned with green trimming, her ears long and pointed.

"Good morning, Demetrius," the woman said as she smiled, flashing her elongated canines. "I am Feidlimid."

"Good morning, Fiedlimid," McManus said. "I'd bow, but I'm trying to be inconspicuous while I'm on Earth. What's the emergency?"

"I have sensed something disturbing in the ether while I was patrolling Earth. It has to do with Aggaron. I believe that he has begun to revive."

McManus's heart skipped a beat. Thoughts of Aggaron the Dark's reputation forced its way into his mind, thoughts of the thousands of lives he had taken for generations. Aggaron the Dark. The immortal master of darkness.

"Wait, hold on," McManus began. "How can you be sure that he's back. It's only been forty years since Hiro killed him. I thought it would take him a thousand years to return."

Fiedlimid began explaining. "To answer the latter question, it is unknown how he has returned so quickly. Rest assured, however, it will be researched. As for the first question, I believe that Ichi can answer that."

"If you haven't heard yet, McManus, there's been a strange string of occurrences happening around the area." Ichi intertwined his fingers before resting his elbows on the desk. "I had the chance to observe the crime scene of the most recent case. The one with the grandmother poisoning her grandchildren," he added once he'd seen McManus's perplexed look. "The grandmother had a Hell-sealed rune on her shoulder. The case before that had a rune across his neck. The one before that had one on his back. The evidence is clear, McManus. Aggaron is back."

McManus paused, as if trying to find something to say. "Then... then what should we do?"

"Keep our eyes open for the King of Elements," Ichi answered. "If Aggaron has revived, then that would mean that the King should-"

The door suddenly swung open. A short, pudgy man with gray, balding hair stumbled in. His upper lip was hidden by a thick mustache as bushy as his eyebrows. His sandy-brown suit was wrinkled and buttoned improperly. He looked at McManus with drunken, glazed over eyes as he made his way to his office.

Clicking the power button on the monitor, McManus scowled at the walrus of a man walking past him. It was no wonder why he took so long getting there. He probably drank his weight in whiskey. Again. Hopefully, he didn't catch any of the conversation. "Principal Dixon?" McManus asked. "What the hell, man? Where were you? We had a new student waiting for you about five minutes ago."

Dixon looked around the front office. "Well, where is she?" he grumbled under his breath.

"Off to class. I already took care of her schedule. I had Dré show her where it was, since they have the same first class."

"Good. Good. I'm gonna go take a couple of aspirin and a nap. Take care of things, would you?" He walked into his office without letting McManus answer.

With a huff, McManus turned back to his computer. That was one thing that he hated about his position, having to work under a principal who probably hadn't gone a day without booze. It was odd; as many times as McManus had complained to the Board of Education about him, Dixon always found a way to sober up long enough for them not to be suspicious. It was almost as if there was something else at play.

Almost as if he was being controlled by someone else. And with the reports of Aggaron the Dark reviving, it made him uneasy about the whole situation. What if it was Aggaron's doing? "Oh, crap."

He had to go check Dixon for the Hell-Sealed tattoos. McManus spun from the computer and was stopped dead in his tracks. In front of his desk stood a young boy in a jet-black cloak that engulfed his whole body, except for his head, which was covered in dark, matted hair. His skin was pale, looking like the skin of the dead. He tilted his head as he gave a twisted, inhuman grin, his cloak swaying slowly in the windless air.

Ignoring the chill running up his spine, McManus forced a smile as he crept a hand into his pocket, wrapping it around a titanium cylinder. It was cool to the touch. He knew that the use of elemancy on Earth was strictly forbidden unless the Oracles deemed fit. He just hoped that they would allow it, if his suspicion was correct. "You must be lost, little boy. The elementary school is across the street."

"How cute," the young boy said. "I am afraid that I am not here for such trivial matters. I am actually here on business. Oh, and you can take your hand off the titanium in your pocket. It would do you no good."

McManus scowled as he released the rod. "Who are you?"

The boy only smiled, showing off his jagged, shark-like teeth before his flowing cloak swayed in front of him. It vanished in thin air, taking the boy with it.

McManus stared at the spot where the boy once stood. That couldn't be him, could it? He gasped as he looked towards Dixon's office. "Dixon!" He vaulted over the counter before he pounded on the principal's door. There was no answer. It didn't help that Dixon always locked the door whenever he napped. McManus checked the office door for any more tardy students before he melded his fingers with the titanium, making a makeshift lockpick.

"Come on, come on," he muttered to himself as he pushed the tumblers in place. With a click of the lock, McManus rushed into Dixon's room, where Dixon was sitting behind his desk, looking almost as if he was waiting for McManus. Though his eyes showed no signs of inebriation, the smell of whiskey was almost suffocating him. He tried his best to put on a facade. "Dixon-"

"I could've sworn I locked the door. Leave," he said with an eerily calm tone.

Clearing his throat, McManus straightened. "Yes, well, the thing is-"

"I said leave!" At once, an imperceptible force launched McManus backward into the wall, knocking the breath out of him. McManus fell to his hands and knees as the door slammed itself shut.

"Damn, that hurt," he wheezed through clenched teeth. Walking back to his desk, he powered his monitor back on, seeing the concern on both Fiedlimid and Ichi's faces.

"We heard yelling and a crash," Fiedlimid said. "Are you injured?"

"Don't worry. I'm good," McManus croaked. "Though you just made a believer out of me."