Chapter 43: Pass or Fail

It felt like ages since Dre was told that he was an Amian, since everything he knew about himself was a lie. Somewhere deep down inside, he felt as if he should resent that fact, knowing that everyone had put on a ruse for seventeen years of his life. Yet, he felt relieved. There was a whole new world for him to explore, filled with different types of people that he didn't even know existed. Amians. Maeg'tols. People that were so much like humans, and yet, so different.

He had to admit that he had expected things to be different. He had expected that he would never get used to this kind of life. Going from an average high school student to an alien warrior, an alien hero in the making, was a drastic change. Despite that, everything sort of fell into a routine. He would suffer through school in Prescott and rush back home in time to continue working on this new life, on a new planet, playing a role he had only seen in cartoons and video games. For four weeks, it became his life, and as odd as it was, he was happy. It was as easy as it was fun, learning to control a power that laid dormant in him for years. There was, of course, one section of the day that was never fun. One major roadblock he always had to pass before the end of the day.

"Again!"

Dre groaned at the order from Katherine. They both had been sparring for what felt like hours without any breaks. His arms felt like gelatin. His lungs were on fire. With Halloween only a few weeks away, he had hoped that he would be able to shop for a costume with his friends, but at this rate he wouldn't even need one. He could just say that he dressed up as the "Armless Wonder" once his arms fall off. "Give me a break, dude," Dre griped.

"Break? You've yet to show me that you even deserve a break. For the past month, you've made no progress. You haven't even been able to touch me yet. Why should I give you a break if you aren't giving me a reason to?"

"But I've never even held a blade before." That was a lie, but she didn't need to know that.

Katherine placed the sword in the sash of her training pants. "Fine then. Show me that you deserve one. If you can, I'll let you rest until class is over."

"Don't tease me dude."

"I am not a dude. I am a lady and you will address me as such."

"Okay, okay. Sorry," Dre said, hoping that he didn't ruin his chances of an actual break. "Please just tell me that you're serious."

"I am," she stated, observing him with those hardened, hazel eyes. She put her arms behind her back. "Pretend like I'm my brother. I've just defeated you in front of the whole school, humiliated you in front of your family and friends. Remember that feeling. Use this memory to motivate you."

"Okay. What do I have to do?"

"Hit me. If you can hit me just once, then I'll let you have a break."

Dre wiped the gleeful look off of his face, concentrating solely on this one last chance to show that he had truly improved these last four weeks. Focus, Dre. Fail a million times- He brought his sword up, preparing to slash at Katherine. Get humiliated a million more- He gripped the handle so hard that it made his palms hurt, as if the mock sword was white hot. He ignored the pain as he visualized Kamatsu standing in front of him, mocking him with that self-centered grin of his. As long as you succeed at least once!

He swung the wooden sword downward. As quick as his swing was, Katherine was easily able to sway away from the sword's path. She glared down at him with an unreadable face. Growling in his throat, he spun on his heel, driving the pommel of the blade towards Katherine's side. Just as the pommel was arching towards her, she caught him by his wrist and, using his momentum against him, spun and tossed Dre effortlessly onto the floor.

Before he knew it, his back had slammed against the wood-tiled ground. He was stunned, too stunned to even feel any pain. He just looked up at Katherine, his breath caught in his throat.

Katherine watched him, showing no sign of concern for him. Dre looked into her eyes, still wondering how he'd ended up on the ground. Folding her arms, she frowned at him. "Failed." Dre glowered as he worked his way up to his feet.

"Attention!" Tiffany called. They all stopped their training at once to listen to her orders. "That's it for today, class. Be sure to put your swords back inside of your lockers."

"Oh, thank God," Dre croaked as he dropped his sword, taking in deep breaths. His hands throbbed with each heartbeat.

"Be prepared next Monday," Tiffany called over the students. "We will have a duel with each of you to see where you stand with each other."

It was as if he had ventured through Hell to get to the world's most prosperous treasures, only to find that there was no treasure, and he had to go back through Hell to return home. He gulped as Katherine began walking towards him, staring at the sibling of a trained samurai. He had no chance to stand up to her skills, not even on her worst day.

"You do know that our duel isn't to the death, right?"

"I'll try to remember that."

"You're- you're kidding, right?" Dre asked in a panic, walking with her towards the lockers.

Katherine shrugged before they placed their swords back in her locker. "At any rate, you'll need to fight me as if it was to the death. I'm expecting you not to hold back on me."

"Y-yeah. But just for curiosity's sake, how hard were you going?"

"If I had to break it down in percentages, I'd have to say that was about fifty percent. Maybe less."

"Oh. Wonderful," he said, not trying to hide the gloom in his voice .

They both bid farewell to Mrs. Gladestone before they walked out of the class. Among the multitude of students filing out of the classroom, Dre noticed Megumi sitting on one of the benches, playing her video game as she paid no mind to the Apprentices buzzing about the upcoming duels. "Waiting for me?" he asked as they approached her.

"Not really," she said, looking up from Dre to Katherine. "What's up, Kat?"

"Hey, Megumi. What are you doing here? I figured you'd be at your meal."

"In a sec. Are you doing anything on Friday? I've got something planned for Kim and I, and I wanted to see if you wanted in."

"Oh?" Katherine looked at Megumi, curious as they moved towards the elevators.

"Yep. Daddy said that it was okay to have a sleepover, and said that it was okay to invite you."

"Sleepover?" Dre interjected. "Rockin'. Party time, bab-"

"No boys allowed." Megumi's words cut as cold as ice.

"Why not?" Dre whined. He pressed the first floor button as they all boarded.

Katherine sighed, placing a hand on Dre's shoulder. "Dre, let me tell you about the birds and the bees." He glared at her, gingerly taking her hand off of his shoulder, as if it was diseased. She looked back at Megumi. "I should be free this weekend. Do you have a number I can reach you?"

"Are you asking for my number?" Megumi asked with a smirk. Her eyes widened as she recoiled slightly, looking as if she didn't want to say that.

"Well, yeah. How else am I going to talk to you?"

"I think a good way would be to talk to her in-"

"Shut up, Dre," both girls said simultaneously. The bell dinged. "I'll give it to you on the way to the dining room," Megumi said, walking off the elevator with Katherine and Dre.

"Sounds good. Oh, and Dre-" Katherine looked over her shoulder to Dre behind her, "you'd better be ready next week."

"Don't worry. I'll let the undertaker ahead of time."