Chapter 35: Out of the Frying Pan

"Oh no, oh no, oh no," Katherine muttered to herself as she sprinted through the courtyard, taking a quick glance at her watch, her bag shifting here and there on her back. "I'm going to be so late." She was embarrassed at herself for letting herself get so caught up in reading that she had completely lost track of time. It didn't help that she was partnered with Ke'Undré in her sword training class. Now, she was going to be late on the first day of history class. Today just was not her day.

Taking the stairs two at a time, she bolted into the door, where an olive-skinned woman in a red tunic stood in the elevator, closing the gated door shut, her crimson hair tied in two long twin pigtails. "Wait! Don't go up yet!" she called. Surprised, the woman pulled the door back open, letting Katherine board.

"Barely made it," she said in deep breaths, crouching over with her hands resting on her knees. "Thanks. You're a lifesaver."

"Don't mention it," the woman said. "You got history class too?"

"Yeah, with someone named Mr. Moonflower. It's going to be such a bore," Katherine said. The other woman squinted at her suspiciously. Katherine inclined a brow. "What? Is history your favorite class?"

"Oh, no. God no. It's just, have we met before? You look oddly familiar."

"Me? I don't think so." Katherine stood up straight, her breathing slowing down. "What's your name?"

"Megumi Gladestone. Before you ask, yes, my daddy is the headmaster of the school," she added as Katherine opened her mouth.

"Uh, that's nice and all, but I was actually going to ask if you could start the elevator."

"Oh." Megumi gave a slight chuckle before she flipped the switch.

"By the way, I'm Katherine Hernández."

"Pleased to meet you," Megumi said with a grin. "Oh, and for future reference, you'd feel better if you put your hands on your head." Katherine gave her a quizzical look. "Y'know, since you were exhausted and all. My daddy always says that if you don't stand up straight and take deep breaths, you could pass out."

"I see," Katherine said. "So, I think I know why I look so familiar to you. You were part of that team that we found in the Edge Walker's forest. The one that Daven told us to push into the Edge Walkers?"

Realization flashed in her eyes. "Oh, yeah. That's why I remember you. I'm surprised that you actually remember that."

The elevator stopped with a ding. "Yeah. It's something that I haven't really been able to get out of my mind." Katherine averted her gaze, her sullen looking instead at her tan boots.

Megumi gave her a cautious look. "You okay?"

"Look, I know that an apology probably couldn't make up for what we did, but-"

Megumi cut her off with a finger. "Don't worry about it. You were forced to do it by that psycho guy. Besides, you guys helped us tap into our elemancy quicker. As long as you don't sacrifice us in an actual fight, then it's water under the bridge."

"What? B-but-"

"Nuh-uh. No buts. Water under the bridge. Now let's go before Mr. Moonflower kills us on our first day." With a grin, Megumi strode off towards the classroom.

"If you say so, Megumi," Katherine said as she followed. "So if your last name is Gladestone, then does that mean you're related to Tiffany Gladestone?"

"Yep. That's my mom," Megumi proudly stated. "I'm surprised that you remember her from the Edge Walker's forest."

"Oh, I don't need to remember her from that. Believe me, my arms can attest to that," Katherine added, rubbing an aching arm. She couldn't see how someone with Megumi's physique could be Tiffany's daughter. Not because of her height, but her build was much slimmer than she would expect, considering Tiffany made the class do one hundred pushups just for objecting to her teaching standards. "I can't believe that you don't have a bodybuilder's body type. Your mother is pretty strict."