Chapter 12: The Feast

Dré lifted the golden lid off a silver plate. His mouth watered at the sight of the slices of roast beef circled by pieces of lettuce. On the right of it was a large, steaming pot of beef stew. To its left was a large crystal bowl of mashed potatoes. His hunger kicked into overdrive as he loaded a plate full of the beef and mashed potatoes. He sliced through the moist meat and fell into heavenly bliss as he munched on the best tasting roast beef that he ever had the pleasure of eating. "Dude, there's a party in my mouth."

"This is really good!" Megumi said as she stuffed her face.

Noticing her wide grin, Dré commented, "I don't think I've ever seen anyone so happy to eat."

"Bite me, Dré," she said without a hint of malice.

"So, where are you two from?" Keiko, smiling.

"I'm originally from New York, but my family and I moved to Prescott, Arkansas," Megumi said as she turned her attention to the beef stew.

"I'm from Prescott, too. Lived there all my life," Dré said after struggling to swallow two large spoonsful of mashed potatoes.

"You are? Me and Michael are from Prescott too," Keiko stated, beaming at Megumi.

"Don't bring me into a conversation that I have no intention in participating, Keiko," Michael demanded in his calm, cold voice. "We don't associate with strangers."

"Oh," Keiko simply stated, taking a drink from her goblet. "So, have you guys noticed that this place is no different than on Earth?" she asked Dré and Megumi, much to Michael's displeasure.

"Yeah, it's weird isn't it?" Megumi answered before taking a spoonful of stew. "I figured that at least the food would be different," she continued as she dipped a slice of bread in the stew before stuffing it in her mouth.

"It is, just not here," an older olive-skinned man said as he appeared beside Megumi. "Is everyone liking the food?" he asked, his smile making his wrinkles across his face more profound.

"Ith vewy good!" Megumi said, her mouth still full of food. Everyone else nodded in agreement with Megumi. She gulped it down before she continued. "What are you doing here, Uncle Zero?"

"Just making sure that everything is running smoothly for the entrance exams. Speaking of, your name is Michael Eagle, correct?" he asked as he looked at Michael.

Michael lowered his spoonful of stew back into the bowl and glared at the man. "How do you know my name?"

"Lucky guess, I suppose," he said with a shrug. "If you wouldn't mind meeting me by the exit before you leave, I have something I would like to discuss with you."

"And just who are you?" Michael asked him, the coldness in his voice not letting up.

"I help oversee the entrance exams. You're not in any trouble or anything. I just want some information from you in private. So, can I expect to meet you?"

Michael went silent for a moment before he returned to his bowl of stew. "Yeah. Whatever."

"Good, good," Zero said. "Hope you all enjoy." He walked further down the table; Michael's eyes hardened as they followed the man.

~~~~

"Are you really going to meet him?" Dré asked once Zero was out of earshot.

"Not like I have a choice." Michael hated the mere thought of having to meet someone whom he had never spoken to, yet he knew Michael's first and last name. Whether he liked it or not, he had to see Zero; it would be dangerous to his mission if he knew too much. Grimacing, Michael laid his spoon back into his third bowl of beef stew.