Chapter 30: First Steps

They strode inside of First Steps. Two people were standing behind a counter; a woman who was slightly shorter than Dré with her hair in two silver pigtails, and a man that was the same height as the one they had passed earlier. "I think I've got it this time, Cynefrith. Watch," the woman said as she tried to juggle three small glass vials. Before she could begin, each one slipped through her fingers and shattered, spilling green liquid onto the black and white-tiled floor. "Oops."

"Oops, nothing," the man that Dré had assumed was Cynefrith said, waggling a small finger at the woman. "Look, if you keep doing this, we will not have enough supplies for the customers. Do you want to be the one to explain to Frige why we are short on supplies, because I am not going to submit myself to that torture." He held a hand out. As if pulled on a string, a large book floated from his back, landing in his hand. With a wave of his hand and a command in a language unknown to Dré, the broken shards of glass were enveloped in a yellow orb of light.

"I'm sorry, Cynefrith," the woman said, sounding defeated. "I thought that I had it that time."

"Do not be sorry," Cynefrith griped as he lured the yellow orb into his book. He snapped the book shut, as if the shards of glass were feathers. "Just go get a mop. I would rather not have any customers see this mess."

Dré's eyebrows almost reached his hairline as the book floated to the man's back. "Wow. That was pretty awesome, huh Megumi," Dré whispered. He looked over to Megumi, who looked as if she had seen a kitten playing with a ball of yarn.

The woman's somber eyes went to Megumi and Dré. She perked up as she said, "Oh. We have customers."

"We do?" Cynefrith turned around, smiling broadly. "Welcome to First Steps—er... why are you looking at me like that?" he said as his violet eyes went to Megumi.

It was too late.

Squealing, Megumi rushed through the store and scooped Cynefrith up in her arms, swinging him here and there as she nuzzled his chubby, infant-like cheek. "Oh, you are such a little cutie," she said in a cutesy voice. Dré didn't know if he should feel sorry for the halfling or confused by Megumi's tone. It was rare for her to have her tough facade broken.

"Let me go, woman!" the man cried, trying to pry out of her grip. He looked over to the other woman, who held a hand over her mouth, trying not to laugh at him. "Lulu, if you do not get her off me, I will dock your pay."

Her laughter disappeared. "Aw what? You can't do that."

"I can, and I will!"

Lulu groaned as she walked over to them and picked Megumi up by the hem of her tunic. "Drop him," she said in a voice so grave that it even shook Dré's composition. In an instant, Megumi released Cynefrith. "You're going outside. Cynefrith, take care of our customer, would you?"

"Yes. Just let me get some air," Cynefrith panted. "That woman is freakishly strong."

"Thanks," Lulu said as she walked towards the exit door, Megumi fighting with her under Lulu's arm, complaining.

Once the girls were outside, the man straightened up the sleeves of his royal-green robe. He looked up at Dré, an indeterminable look crossed his eyes. It looked as if he was startled and somewhat bewildered by Dré's presence, as if he'd not noticed the boy there. Then, he cleared his throat and grinned. "Well, you are an unexpected face. You are an Apprentice, are you not?"

"I am," Dré said hesitantly. "Megumi pretty much forced me to come."

"I see," the halfling said, nodded thoughtfully. "Considering how strong that woman is, I am not surprised. Hm? Oh, dear. Is that your practice sword?"