Chapter 21: Bonds

Please let me land gently. Please let me land gently, Dré kept repeating in his head as he felt himself flying towards the Gladestone house. Though he couldn't see or move, he could still feel the ground creeping up on him at an alarming rate. It wasn't until then that Dré had thought of something. Whenever he had used the honey drop the first time, he was inside of Megumi's house. Would he have to go through the roof to get back into the house?

Oh, God, I am going to die.

He tried his hardest to scream, but nothing would come out. He could only sit there while his comatose body hurtled towards Earth. Once he saw the light again, he felt his momentum begin to slow down. Finally, he was able to open his eyes and once he did, he felt as if he was staring down the barrel of a gun. He was speeding towards the roof of the house.

"Oh, God, I'm going to die!" he bellowed as he clenched his eyes and covered his head with his arms.

His momentum slowed as he phased through the house and landed softly on the wood-tiled floor. Though he didn't feel himself break through the roof, he refused to uncover his head, fearing that he was in heaven, or wherever it was that Amians go after they had died. He was panting as he laid on the floor; his nose caught a familiar scent that eased his breath. Strawberries.

He slowly moved his arms aside and looked up. No hole in the ceiling. He looked down below him. There were a black carpet and a ginger kitten looking curiously up at him, but no rubble.

"Hey Peek-a-Boo," he said with a forced calm voice as he scratched the kitten's head. "You wouldn't happen to know where your owner is, would you?" Peek-a-Boo purred. "I have no idea what I was expecting asking a cat anything."

Peek-a-Boo meowed as she jumped on Dré's head and leaped from his head to Megumi's bed. Dré looked at the bed, confused. Aside from the kitten sitting in the middle of the heart staring at the ceiling, it was empty. "What are you looking at?" he asked as he looked up. For a moment he saw nothing. A brief while later, however, he saw a body materialize through the ceiling, where it landed gracefully on the bed.

Megumi's large blue eyes opened halfway, staring into Dré's garnet eyes. He felt his heart lurch into his throat as he let himself get lost in her beauty.

"Well, that was slightly adventurous. Peek-a-Boo!" Megumi gasped, sounding completely overjoyed as the ginger kitten meowed. Megumi placed the kitten onto her lap, where it purred as Megumi scratch its ears. "This is my darling kitten. Isn't she such a cutie?" she asked him as she held its face up to his. Dré gasped as he noticed that its paws were on fire. Small flames, yes, but still enough to be noticeable.

"The heck? Dude, don't pick it up, it's on fire!"

Megumi gave him a perplexed stare. "Oh, she's supposed to do that. Now that I think about it, she must be an Amian kitten. Oh! Daddy told me about this. Check it out. Peek-a-Boo-" She grinned as she pointed at Dré, "flame him!"

Peek-a-Boo's fur stood up before she opened her mouth; a small flame flowed from her mouth towards Dré. He jumped back, tripping on a box beside her bed and crashed on the ground.

"You're so jumpy, dude," Megumi giggled as Peek-a-Boo's hair resettled.

"Oh, excuse me for not trying to get my face burnt off. Nothing gives a better warning of 'My cat that can inexplicably breathe fire is going to attempt to burn your nostril hairs out' than not saying it at all." He scowled as he helped himself up. "Thanks for the heads up, by the way."

"This one is just a kitten, so it can't produce a strong enough flame."

"And you just happen to keep one like it's a regular house cat."