Chapter 39: Suscéptor

After leaving Kimmy at the entrance, Dré rode the elevator up to the top floor as thoughts of what awaited him flooded his mind. Did Toney really want to congratulate him on tapping into his elemancy like his uncle said? Or did he find out about Megumi and him at the invasion? What would happen to him if Toney found out? Would he expel him? Would he kill Dré? He gulped, suddenly wishing that he was on ground floor.

The elevator slowed to a stop before the door opened to a long hallway, trailed by a red carpet. His heart pounding against his ribcage, Dré looked at the elegant door of the headmaster's office, looking at what could be his final destination. He walked forward, his thudding boots breaking the eerie silence from the hallway. Pictures from what Dré thought was Toney's past hung against the wall like small windows in time. He hadn't dared to look at them, however. His mind was too focused on two things. The first one was why had Dré been told to see him in his office. The second was what did Toney plan on doing to him.

His breathing grew heavier with each step. The door seemed to tower over him, threatening him, as if it would burst open to Mr. Toney, rage in his eyes. He took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

No answer.

He knocked again.

Still no answer.

Is he gone? Did he forget? He felt a little relief knowing that his death would be halted for a few more moments. Maybe he should leave.

He turned towards the end of the hall and rushed to the elevator door, hoping to make it back before Toney did. As he got to the end of the hallway, however, the door to the staircase opened and Toney stalked out, a red towel draped over his broad shoulders and a glass bottle of ale in his hand. "Oh, Dré. I didn't expect you to come so soon." He inclined an eyebrow. "Where are you going?"

"Just pacing the hallway, checking out these pictures," Dré lied. He was getting really tired of lying all day.

Toney chuckled. "Follow me. We have much to talk about, and I'm sure you want to get home as soon as I do."

They started back down the hallway towards Toney's office. Dré was perplexed at the fact that Toney hadn't seemed angry at him at all. In fact, he almost seemed cheerful. "So you aren't angry at me? Or plotting how you're going to kill me?"

"Kill?" Toney laughed. "What would I kill you over?"

"For using my elemental power in class." And for going to the city during a Journeyman mission.

"Don't worry, man. I didn't call you up here because I was mad at you. Although using your elemancy this early does have something to do with it." He unlocked the door. "Come. Take a seat."

Toney's office had been the exact opposite of what he had been expecting. His desk was covered with comic books, action figures, model cars, and a video game system hooked up to a mini television. Posters of video game characters and bass guitars hung around the office. He would've expected a room like this for any of the Apprentices, not the headmaster himself.

Toney sat down in front of Dré and intertwined his hands in front of his face. "So, as I'm sure you've heard, being able to use your elemancy this early is quite impressive. There is a small number of people who have been able to pull off a feat such as that, and those people become legends of Amity. In fact, all of the former Kings started off the same way as you. All of them. Strange, isn't it?" He reached under the table and pulled out a rectangular, red velvet case. "Which is why I want to do a little experiment, if you don't mind."

Dré eyed the case suspiciously.

"Don't worry. You're not in any trouble. I'm just curious if my suspicion is correct."