Chapter 25: The Man in Black

Two figures rushed into the small city with their weapons drawn. The first, Mistress Bianka Bright, carried a spiked club. The fire-red cotton tunic underneath her leather breastplate identified that she was a fire elemancer. The second, Kurai Elitist Marcus Wolf, wielded two blades made of ice in both hands. His silver, sleeveless jacket shimmered underneath the sun along with his black, raven-shaped mask that marked him as an elite elemancer. The air was thick with the screams of mass chaos. Everywhere that they looked, rubble from destroyed buildings and fountains, bodies of injured Amians, Maeg'tols, and Armonians, as well as the ashes of a slain Edge Walker. A deep twang of anger burned through his chest; many of the bodies looked to be children. Furrowing his brows underneath the mask, Marcus swore he'd avenge them.

Raheem and Abigail were waiting at a ruined building, their armor scarred with deep gashes. Dozens of city guards kept the Edge Walkers at bay as Raheem was healing a gash across Abigail's chest. They both looked to Bianka and Marcus, their breathing labored. "Do you guys know who's caused this?" Bianka asked holding a pair of battleaxes.

"Not yet," Abigail said. Raheem's water slithered back to him as she continued. "Though the Edge Walkers seem to be accumulating from the middle of the city-"

"That's all I needed to hear. Stay with them, babe," Marcus said as he pushed farther into the city. Raheem, Abigail, and Bianka followed, swiftly taking out Edge Walkers on the way.

As they ventured deeper into the city, the number of Edge Walker increased dramatically until they were standing in front of a black mass of the monsters. "Stand aside!" Marcus called as he conjured a handful of snow. He slid his mask above his mouth before blowing a dense mist at the mass. The others were positioned behind her, protecting him from the attackers attempting to flank. He could hear the ice engulfing the Edge Walkers, shattering their inky bodies as he clenched his hand. He dared to grin, though it faded as, with every Edge Walker that was killed, another rose to take its place. He grimaced as he pushed his mask back down.

"By the Goddess, how many of them are they?" Raheem said as he turned around and halved an Edge Walker behind him. Three more rushed towards him, their inky arms outstretched towards them. He dodged a swipe at his head and slashed it diagonally from its shoulder to its hip. Bianka and Marcus cut through the other two, Marcus using a blade crafted with ice.

"There has to be something calling them!" Abigail yelled over the chaos.

Marcus looked over his shoulder towards the oncoming Edge Walkers in front of them. It was as though they were slashing at a never-ending wall of the inky bodies. Through a break in the wall, however, he saw what looked like a glint of silver. "Whatever it is, it's behind them. They must be protecting it."

"That's good to know and all," Raheem began, "but what can we do to get to it?" Just as he asked, a bolt of lightning fell from the sky, striking down a section of the Edge Walkers. Baffled, Raheem looked up to the sky. "Oh, uh- thank the goddess."

A figure in a red tunic descended from the sky, a flame-red cloak trailing behind him. Another figure floated behind him. This one was wearing a leather shirt underneath a silver breastplate. Her black dress had a high slit on one side, revealing a row of throwing knives attached to her black leggings.

As soon as they made their descent, sounds of blade cutting through flesh filled the area. The wall of Edge Walkers turned towards the two as he swiftly and gracefully took down Edge Walker after Edge Walker. He was relieved to see Toney and Tiffany join them.

Marcus, Raheem, Abigail, and Bianka all rushed to their side, taking down any Edge Walker that was too close to them. "Sorry to keep you waiting," Toney said, wielding his greatsword in front of him.