Chapter 12: Second Chances

After Christmas day, we had spent several days relaxing in New Jersey. We went to Frank's house and played music in his basement which was really fun as everyone was impressed with my mediocre guitar skills. I wasn't very good, but I guess they were impressed because I didn't look like a guitar player. I was petite and had a feminine face that you wouldn't guess would be into playing rock music on the guitar, but stereotypes are rarely right. A few days later it had snowed heavily so Mikey, Gerard and I went sledging. Gerard and I shared a sledge and he wrapped his arms around my waist when we were going downhill, but I figured this was just to stop me from falling out and breaking a limb.

We hadn't discussed what had happened on Christmas evening, and I had a feeling we probably weren't going to anytime soon. We had been alone plenty of times since it had happened and Gerard never said anything about it. It had been six days since Christmas and nothing had happened, so I was beginning to lose hope.

"Hey, I'm going to meet my flatmate Annie tonight," I said to Gerard. "I didn't realise but she lives in Jersey too and she's home for Christmas."

"Bring her over here," Gerard said. "We're gonna throw a little party because my parents are going out of town for New Years Eve."

"Is it New Year's tonight? I completely forgot!" I exclaimed. I sent a text to Annie inviting her over and she agreed to come. I begged her to come early and bring me some nice clothes because I had only brought about three outfits with me to NJ and I was starting to feel slightly disgusting, especially as none of them were particularly nice outfits.

At around 7pm, Annie came over and we went straight to the spare room.

"I cannot believe what's going on with you and Gerard," she whispered excitedly. 

"I know," I replied, also in whispers. "I have no idea what's going on between us but it's making me constantly nervous. Literally every time we are together I'm scared he's gonna try something on, but then he doesn't, and then I'm super disappointed!"

"Well you know, you gotta kiss somebody at midnight," she winked. "New Year's tradition."

"Oh yeah, then who are you gonna kiss?" I joked.

"Oh I'm totally going for the guy I saw sulking in Gerard's lounge," she grinned. "He's got a lip ring. You know how I feel about lip rings."

"Frank?" I laughed. "He's nice but he seems a bit complicated. Good luck with that."

She threw at me a tiny black dress that looked only big enough to fit a Barbie doll.

"You better tell me you brought me some other options," I said, staring at the flimsy dress.

"You're gonna look so cute in this," she grinned.

"Annie I'm gonna look like a slut. It's just a casual house party!"

"Put on the damn dress," she said, rolling her eyes. "I brought some black tights with me, you'll be fine!"

As instructed, I put on the tiny dress accompanied by the black tights and I had to admit- I looked nice. It had been a while since I'd put on something figure-hugging and flattering as opposed to my usual outfit of jeans and a t-shirt. Annie straightened my wavy hair and made me feel like I was an actual Barbie doll as she dressed me up like one.

"You're so pretty," she pouted as she looked at her finished project. "I wish we could swap faces Izzy."

"Oh shut up Annie," I laughed.

A few hours later Gerard called us downstairs and I walked down stairs, blushing at the idea of him seeing me dressed like this. He stared at me as I came down the stairs and I avoided his gaze, embarrassed. Annie used her amazing confidence and walked straight over to Frank and introduced herself, leaving just Gerard and I stood next to one another.