Chapter 21: Stay

I walked into the room and saw a sight that literally tore my heart into pieces. Gerard was sat upright in a hospital bed, but his face was cut up and bloody. He had a bandage wrapped aroud the top of his head and cuts on his cheeks and lips. His left foot was wrapped in a cast and propped upright. I stood in shock in the doorway, but I wasn't shocked because of the condition he was in. I was shocked at seeing him again; his gorgeous face, his messy hair, his slim but toned physique, and his beautiful hazel eyes. I hadn't seen him in around eight months. Eight months. There was a time when Gerard and I couldn't spend a night apart without going crazy, and yet somehow we had spent the last eight months apart and had barely spoken that entire time. He looked different- he had gained a little weight, and his hair was messier than it was before. However, it made no difference- I was still completely in love with him- I knew as soon as I set my eyes on him again.

"Gerard," I said, running over to his bed. He turned to face me and his eyes lit up instantly.

"Isabel," he said, his voice croaky and quiet.

"G, are you okay?" I asked, taking his hand and brushing his hair out of his eyes. "I nearly had a heart attack when I heard you'd been in an accident." My eyes were filling up with tears. "This feels like some kind of horrible nightmare." His hand held onto mine tightly, to the point where it was almost hurting me.

"Why are we apart?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said, the tears in my eyes finally escaping and rolling down my cheeks. "I don't know why."

"I haven't seen you in so long," he said. "It doesn't make sense for you and I to be apart."

"I know," I cried. "I don't want to be apart from you anymore Gerard."

He smiled at me with the biggest smile I had ever seen on anybody's face in my entire life. Before we could say anything else, Mikey came into the room, followed by Frank, Ray and Annie. I let go of Gerard's hand and allowed everyone else to chat with him to make sure he was alright. Eventually we had to leave, and the doctor informed us that Gerard needed to rest for a couple of hours but would be out by the evening. 

To pass the time, we went to a diner and ordered food and coffee, whilst Frank and Ray talked to me  about how their band was doing on tour and how they had been since I had last seen them. Mikey was so exhausted that he took a nap. Whilst we were eating, I got a text on my phone from Gerard.

Meet me outside!

I excused myself and walked outside to find Gerard leaning against the back wall of the diner. 

"I just wanted to speak to you alone before everyone else was around," he explained. He then grabbed me and spun me around, pushing me against the wall forcefully, his hands on my waist. He smiled at me briefly before lowering his face close to mine until I could hear his breathing clearly. He pressed his lips against mine, lingering for some time before pulling back to look at me for reassurance. I shut my eyes and pulled him in closer, kissing him deeply. 

"I don't want to leave you again," I whispered in between Gerard planting short kisses on my lips. 

"Don't," he replied.

"But I have to go back to England," I sighed. "I don't have any money and I have a job there!"

"I know you don't want to risk your job," he said. "But if you really trust me, you should stay with me. I've got a good feeling about my band. I think we could really become something."

I looked up at him and tried to work out whether or not he was being serious.

"Izzy I know I don't have much," he said, stroking my cheek with his hand and kissing me once more. "I don't have money, I don't have my own house, I don't have a lot of friends and I don't have a job. But I think if I have you I'll be motivated to get those things for you."

"I don't need anything," I said. "Well, except for an American visa."

"I just need you to stay," he said. "Please stay with me."

"How can I leave you?" I smiled. "I'm in love with you."

He grinned, before wrapping his arms tightly around my waist and lifting me up into the air. He spun me around again and planted another kiss on my lips. 

"You are officially banned from ever leaving the United States," he smiled. "I won't let you."

"Alright," I smiled. "But I think the first thing we should do is get back to New Jersey."

"You sound like Frank," he laughed, rolling his eyes. "But I really need to get you into a bedroom alone as soon as possible, so I'm up for that."

 Hands held tight, we walked back into the diner to reunite Gerard with the others. We spent another hour or two there, before deciding on a plan. Due to Gerard's leg being in a cast, they decided to cancel the last week of their tour. Ray and Frank agreed to drive their van full of equipment back to Jersey overnight, whilst Annie insisted on following Frank. Mikey decided to pick up Gerard's car and drive it back to Jersey, leaving just Gerard and I to fly back to New Jersey by plane. For the entire journey back, he didn't let go of my hand.

"Izzy," he whispered in my ear, as we sat on the plane. "Just to clarify...are we starting again?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Are we trying this again? Are you my girlfriend?"

I looked at him and grinned.

"If you want me to be your girlfriend, then I am definitely your girlfriend," I smiled.