Chapter 26: The Game

"Okay, you're gonna need my car keys," he said, pushing me out of the front door. "And you're gonna need to be a little open-minded and just do as you're instructed."

"Gerard you're freaking me out," I laughed. "What is this about?"

"Look," he said, handing me a piece of paper upside-down. "Just follow the sheets of paper, okay? If you get stuck you can use the clue. Have a good day!"

After he said that, he ran back inside and shut the door. Completely confused, I flipped over the piece of paper than he had given me.

Go to the place where we felt like star-crossed lovers.

"What the hell?" I muttered. At the bottom of the piece of paper was the word 'clue' scribbled over a small flap he had made on the paper.

Clue: it isn't far away

The place we felt like star-crossed lovers? What kind of game is he playing at? Does he mean his parents house? I got into his car, deciding to do as I was told and be open-minded. I drove around aimlessly for a while trying to work out where our new house was, and eventually realised where abouts I was and drove to his parents house. When I got there I saw a piece of paper stuck to their mailbox. I got out of the car and picked it up to read it.

Go to where we said goodbye

Which time?!

Clue: Newark

I got into the car and drove to Newark airport, hoping for Gerard's sake that he had something good planned. I pulled into the parking lot and looked around at how huge Newark airport is. How am I supposed to find a tiny piece of paper in this huge airport?! I got out of the car and looked around, and all of a sudden I saw Ray running towards me. He didn't say a single word to me, he just passed me a piece of paper and ran away. Rolling my eyes, I read the piece of paper.

Go to where we met

Clue: Wrong class

I got into the car and drove the short thirty-minute drive to New York City. I went into our old NYU building and walked to the exact lecture hall where Gerard and I had met outside of. Stuck on the door of the lecture hall was yet another piece of paper.

Nice effort! Go to where I fell in love with you

Clue: it was indescribable

I began to smile to myself, ignoring all of my previous frustration at this bizarre game. Being at NYU and reading these cute messages were making me feel nostalgic and also reminding me of how much I loved him. But I also wanted to know what exactly the point of it was. I left my car at the NYU building and walked to my old dorm building, admiring the streets of New York that I had missed terribly since I had left. I got to the dorm building and a piece of paper was pinned up on the front door.

Go to where I took you for our first breakfast

I didn't need the clue for this. I walked to the nearby park where Gerard had cured my hangover by buying breakfast food and laying it out in the park- the morning after the night I had told him what I thought of Sophia. I headed for the exact tree we had sat against and found the next piece of paper.

Go to where I embarrassed you most.

His embarrassing outbursts at Bobst library was the first thing that sprung to my mind. I walked there, climbed a number of stairs and found the seat I used to sit in regularly to study. The note was pinned to the desk. I looked around and felt happy to be back at such a familiar and comforting place. I braced myself for where I would have to drive to next.

Look up.

What the? I looked up to the roof and saw nothing. I spent a few minutes analyzing the roof of the library, trying to work out what he was making me look for. I didn't want to have wasted all of this time just to miss what he wanted me to see! Eventually I gave up and looked back down, to see Gerard stood in front of me. He was holding a lily flower, just like on our first date.

"Hey new girl," he smiled, coming close and passing me the lily. He was talking loudly and about fifty people were staring at us. I looked around nervously at the amount of people who were watching us. "Don't worry," he said. "I prepared everyone."

"P-prepared for what?" I asked. He swallowed, looking nervous and his cheeks were much rosier than I had seen them yesterday. He looked terrified, but ecstatic. He bent down onto one knee and all of a sudden I realised what he was doing.

"Izzy," he said, fumbling into his pocket and pulling out a tiny black velvet box. He opened it and revealed a silver ring with a diamond glistening on top. "I met you at NYU and as soon as I saw you I thought you were rad. I was so nervous around you. The first time you came to one of my band's shows I could barely perform because I was so shy. When I invited you to my house for Christmas I didn't sleep for the first four days just because I knew you were in the next room. You taught me what love is. We've had some shit times together, but we've also had some amazing times. I can't live without you, and I don't want to try to live without you. So...will you marry me?"

Everyone in the library nearby to us was now staring intently at me. My cheeks were heating up as I began to get embarrassed.

"Gerard..." I replied. "You don't need to ask me."

"I just really wanna hear you say it," he smiled.

"Yes, yes I will definitely marry you," I grinned. He took the ring from the box and slipped it onto my finger. Everyone watching started clapping and cheering, which made the moment feel like some kind of surreal dream. Gerard wrapped his arms around my waist and lifted me up into the air, before putting me down and grabbing my face to pull me in for a kiss. Everyone was clapping until an announcement was made for silence in the library. Gerard lifted me up and carried me outside, where he continued to kiss me with so much force that I could hardly breathe.

"You romantic bastard," I smiled, kissing him passionately. "You did all of this?"

"Drove around New York City sticking bits of paper to buildings? Yeah," he blushed. "I actually thought people would move them so I got Ray to watch the bits in New Jersey and Frank was checking up on the ones in New York- so it's been a tiring day for everybody." 

"Being here with you...I couldn't wish for anything better," I smiled. "You did it better than I could have ever imagined."

"Well," he said, kissing my nose the way he always did. "We've got a lot of planning to do."