Reed's Lab

"Can I just say, I'm unhappy with this plan," Reed said, watching as Bucky sat in a metal chair and Bruce fussed over him. Tony stood next to Bruce, reading off a computer.

"We know, Richards. You've mentioned," Bucky said. Reed shook his head and walked away. Tony snorted, not looking up. "You found anything yet, Stark?"

"Let's kill the last names thing, Barnes. And yes. I found your trigger word list. Apparently Fury read them to you and then shocked some of your memories into remission. We can reset you."

"Again, I'm with Reed, this sounds like a bad idea," Bruce sighed, plugging the last of Bucky's wires into one of the boxes on his left.

"We know," Bucky said. "What does that do?" He gestured at the box.

"Make sure your brain doesn't shut down. Because they used very experimental, old junk on your head and all this resetting and messing with it may go south. And this box," Bruce tapped the second one. "Is basically like a car battery, but not as dangerous. And we will use this if we have to shock you to keep you from turning into a vegetable."

"Plus, Fury's instructions in here are unclear. We may have to give your brain a jolt as we read the list," Tony added. "Hopefully you don't die."

"Thanks for that," Bucky said. He had remained unfazed throughout this entire process. Tony called him an ideal patient. Really he was worried- Bucky seemed too unconcerned. They'd tried to explain that it was dangerous, and he might not like what he got back, but he insisted. And Tony understood why. He was still worried, though. This could go very badly.

"Steve's gonna kill me for this," Tony muttered.

"I'd like to see him try," Bruce said.

"If he does try to kill you, please tell me, so I can hit him," Bucky added sincerely. "I don't know why he's been so violent lately. That's new."

"He's not violent," Tony said immediately. He paused. "Well, he's not- It's not like he does anything. He threw stuff that one time. It's not like he beats me."

Bruce and Bucky stared at him.

"What?" Tony asked, looking up.

"You're a mess," Bruce shook his head.

"Did I overshare?"

"No, but if you brought up Howard-"

"Ah, so I was on the verge of oversharing."

"I'm sorry, again," Bucky said. Tony scoffed.

"I don't care. About him."

"There's the oversharing Stark we all love."

"Shut up Bruce. You know what I meant. I- It's not your fault," Tony put a hand on Bucky's shoulder. Bucky glanced up at him. "It's alright."

"So, he's all set up," Bruce said, patting the boxes. "Whenever you're ready."

"You ready, tough guy?" Tony patted Bucky's shoulder a second time. Bucky nodded. Tony removed his hand and turned his attention back to the laptop.

"Alright, we're gonna try this without the electroshock first, and if that doesn't work, we'll run it through again with the car battery."

"Wait, is that actually a-"

"Question time is over, Barnes," Tony said, turning and walking to stand in front of him. "But yes. It is," Tony eyed Bucky and exhaled.

"I'm ready."

"Yeah, but I'm not."

Tony started reading.

Bucky didn't even start clenching his fists until the fifth word.

Tough guy.