Otherworldly Enchantment

"May I have this dance?" Nixon asked me as another song began about halfway through the night. He had his arm out to me, palm upwards, head slightly bowed.

     "Why yes you may." I giggled in response and lay my hand in his.

     I curtsied, he bowed, and off we went with another group of dancers in brilliant colored gowns and accessories. This dance was slow and caressed the mind through my ears in dazzling ways. He held me close in modestly and my cheeks glowed rose every time we danced.

     We stayed in silence, purely enjoying the music and the way we journeyed through the waves of sound together.

     "I meant to show you something earlier." Nixon said and I turned my head to look up at his face which was already peering down at me.

     "What is it?" I asked with furrowed brows.

     He smiled mischievously and spun me, my dress circling outwards around me, my hair following suite until it came to rest all on one shoulder.

     Nixon said nothing but stopped and held onto my hand forcing me to trail behind him as we weaved through the ballroom dancers caught up in their own motions.

     A door of entwining gold, silver, and bronze leaves stood tall and narrow behind the thrones that didn't capture my attention until now. As if it were hidden behind a veil of magic that didn't reveal anything behind it's shadow unless known and looked for by any being.

     Still holding my hand delicately Nixon looked over his shoulder at me with an expression of anticipation ; knowing what he was about to uncover to me.

     The music still sailed around me, covering my blue glowing body in enchanting lights and emotions invisible to any other eye but that of my own. The door opened with ease at Nixon's push and we stepped out into a dark, enclosed, garden.

     I could feel that the space wasn't all that large but the only thing I could see were the plants tangled on the ground nearest me, reflecting my glow off of their smooth leaves.

     "A garden?" I asked; the music muffled behind us but still present.

     "Dance with me." Nixon said , bowing to me as we stood in the center of the garden on a circular stoned floor.

     I said nothing and smiled wide as I curtsied before him, my dress grazing the floor, my eyes resting on his face as I peered up from below my long dark lashes. I straightened and Nixon stepped forward and took me into his arms for yet another countless time tonight. Slow, fluid, graceful, and tender our steps paired perfectly together as we spun together in the darkness. My light illuminated his face as his did on my own and all I could look upon was his forest green eyes , thick brows, handsome smile, and wavy blonde hair. He glanced away for a split second and his joy lightened even brighter than before.

     "Look." He whispered, and I did.

     Flowers bloomed in multicolored glows , one by one all around us. Growing taller and straighter they created an alluring atmosphere of vibrancy and love. Comfort enveloped us, euphoria took us in its arms. Intermingling with our own glows, the lights played ; reflecting off of every surface, creating a wonder that could only be experienced without words.

     The muffled music came to a slow stop and so did Nixon. He ended me in a turn, my back came to rest on his shoulder, his arms holding me in a warm , fluttering embrace, my head tilted upwards to look him in the eyes.

     His eyes swept over my eyes, nose, and came to rest on my lips. When I didn't make a movement to stand, he lowered his face closer to mine; his eyes glancing up at mine asking for permission. Again, when I didn't move he moved closer , just a breath away. A breath that made my heart still and my stomach come alive with anxious wings.