Secret Demons in Our Minds

The kiss parted with a content sigh from the both of us and Nixon's slightly crooked teeth showed through his wide smile. His freckles blended in with the colour that reached his cheeks as his eyes twinkled with delight. His long fingered hands reached out and brushed a sea-weed strand of hair away from my eyes. I felt so immensely happy at that moment I could have wished I had the day off to spend the many hours with Nixon. But yet, my thoughts stirred restlessly in my mind; forcing me to get out and find the answers I searched for.

     I hurried my way out of the pool, bending the water to my will and attempting to shift my body out of Nixon's way.

     "Here, allow me." He stated as he reached for my waist. Where his fingers made contact with my scaled skin I felt pinpricks of soft shivers.  I was glad for the help as the water weighed me down, and I set my hands on his shoulders. I looked up at his eyes which suddenly glowed a shimmering red-orange , taking on the detailed narrow pupil slits of a cats , drawing inhuman strength from his powers. 

     Effortlessly I was pulled out of the water, my long blue tail dragging . I was embarrassed for a moment; I felt too alien suddenly , like my tail was something I had to hide along with the thin webbing between my fingers , the scales on my body and around the edges of my oval face, not to mention the shades of green and blue in my hair ,the gills that encircled the sides of my thin neck, and my pointed ears. I never actually seen the reflection of my fish self but only saw the changes by examining my hands and running my fingertips along my face and ears. 

     Nixon must have noticed my hesitation and attempt at shielding my body as I wrapped my long arms around my tail tucked close to my chest ; he made a move to kneel down beside me and to place his hand on my shoulder but sprung up straight again, a slightly confused expression twisting his features. 

     " I- I was wondering what time it was... but I, I was so caught up in swimming and I didn't see anyone come in for a while. I didn't ask when I woke up in the healing quarters." I tilted my head up to look at Nixon who took a careful step towards me; his confusion now replaced with the smile I realized he only gave to me. 

     There was a moment of a look of realization on his face that entwined with his comforting smile before he replied "It is seven in the evening. I received word from a passing healer as I made my way here that you came to just about half an hour ago."

     "I was asleep for that long?" I exclaimed, my voice surging on a tone of disbelief. 

     A small but deep feathery chuckle came from my gorgeous companion "Why yes, it's quite natural for someone that was in your condition to had slept that long; just about sixteen hours. Now here.." He knelt down slowly , like a child who wanted to near a small bird, frightened that it would fly away. 

     I forced myself to open myself up to his aid , unravel my arms and allow Nixon to lift me once more , down the dozen or so steps and to a pile of soft towels laying on the ground in the wide area that I had not seen him prepare for me. It was surprising actually , to have such a small act of kindness done for me alone.

     "Oh!" I gasped in delight and delicate shock as he lowered me down and proceeded to walk to one end of my tail and fold the towels over and around it. He lifted his blonde , shaggy , head with a toothy smile as he worked. 

     "Anything for you." He said softly. 

     "Thank you Nixon." His name was already foreshadowed in my lungs, condensed into a sweet air up through my throat and silkily knitted in my vocal chords to have rolled off my tongue so purely without flaw. With his name came an airy sugariness like the pink and violet velvet clouds that came with a summer sunset.