Eight: Snape's an Old Man Now! That's Something.

JAMES: "He's going this way...no! Don't go left! Try your other left. James, don't step on my foot! Ugh, this cloak had gotten so much smaller through the years."

"Stop your whining! We're two corridors away. Shut up." That thankfully shut him up. We quietly strolled down the corridors, until Snape's name was only one turn away on the map.

"Are you ready?" I whispered.

"Readier than I'll ever be. Let's go scare the pants off of Snivellus. Serves him right for following us."

When we turned the corridor, we were in for a great surprise. This wasn't the Snape we were familiar with. For starters, his hair seemed to be even thicker and greasier than ever. He was taller, though not nearly as scrawny as before. His eyes seemed to be filled with even more hate and loathing for the world, which I hadn't thought to be possible.

This was Severus Snape, just not the one we had known.

"Dude." Sirius whispered beside me. "He's gotten old!"

Snape turned his head quicker than an owl ever could.

"Who's there?" He said. Even his voice had deepened further.

"Run." I whispered. And we sprinted under the cloak, down the corridors with Snivellus on our tail.

"Potter! I know it's you!" Sirius and I exchanged glances.

"He can't know it's me! Unless..."

"Potter! Weasley! Get out from under that cloak!" We stopped against a wall while he continued running down the corridor. We'd lost him.

I quickly ripped off the cloak and looked at Sirius.

"My son is a trouble maker! Snape hates him too." We both laughed.

"But why's Snape here? He can't be a professor, can he?"

"No...way...he can't! Dumbledore couldn't hire him! We all know he was in the dark lot. He can't have changed." 

"Well, I guess that leaves us with a number of questions then. Why does Snape hate your child, why is Snape at Hogwarts, what happened to Voldemort, and who is your child's mother?" I hadn't even thought of that last one. And unfortunately, that was the least of my concerns at the moment. Who could the kid's mum be?

"We better get heading back, you know Remus and Evans would kill us if they knew we were out after hours, especially given the circumstances."

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I guess we should be heading back."

***

LILY: the next morning I awoke with a start, having momentarily forgotten where I was. This isn't my dorm, it looks different. I thought, and who are these girls? Then the memories of the previous day slowly flooded back.

I was suddenly filled with a familiar deep loathing for the marauders, this was their fault. But I knew I couldn't blame this all on them. That boy with the necklace, this was his fault. I didn't even know his name. All I know is that he reminded me of James, the way he carried himself, that is. And that could never be a good thing.

"Rose, Rose? Are you awake?" I sat up, and the girls were surrounding my bed. One had long, wavy brown hair. The other was darker skinned, with black hair. And the girl in the middle I recognized to be Hermione. Her bushy, brow hair looked the same as it had last night. Her teeth were slightly crooked which I must not have noticed last night, but she was decent looking all the same.

"So, you're the new transfer Dumbledore talked about?" Asked the girl with long, curly brown hair.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Rose Mendel. Who're you two?"