Twenty Four: We Might as Well Make Things Sappy Before the Bad Things Occur.

LILY: Isn't it amazing how many things can change about a person? Their appearance, their skills...their attitude? I mean, one minute you can be an upright school girl thinking highly of yourself, and the next you're wrapped in the boy's arms that you once called arrogant.

JAMES: Isn't it amazing how many things can change about a person? Their appearance, their skills...their attitude? I mean, one minute you're hexing anyone you see as a threat, you're flaunting the halls in a conceited manner, and you don't take the time to get to know someone before you judge them. Then, the next minute you're wrapping your arms around the girl you never thought you'd get.

LILY: Life's a mystery, it's a surprise, and it's a bit nauseating at times, but then again, isn't that the way most love stories are?

Okay, I don't think you'd necessary call our story a love story. More like a tragedy. Two idiots, young and in love have a child in a dangerous world, thinking they're above the dangers, and thinking they can stop the bad guys to protect their child. To Protect each other. That's just bound to have a tragic end; anyone with eyes can see that.

But at the same time, that's what makes it a love story. The two idiots were so hopelessly in love that the overlooked those things and saw them as just minor details to a much bigger story.

And that's how I think I fell for James. Times were already getting bad in our world and were probably bound to get worse. That can cause those two people to change their attitude. They mature and they find each other.

And that, my friends, is what makes a story tragic. Love is the best and worst thing because of that reason: you overlook all of the bad things and think you're safe with each other. But the villains don't overlook you. You life can end in just a simple phrase spoken by a much more powerful force with no more than a flick of a wand. Next thing you know it, your corpse is tossed aside like a sack.

I couldn't help but wonder, if there was no war, if there was no Voldemort, no death eaters, would James and I still end up with each other?

But I pushed that thought aside, that's probably what I'd do for many years. It's because I loved him and I didn't overthink that thought. I didn't overthink the dangers. And we both ended up dead.

Together till the end I suppose, but dead.

I had never read many love stories as a child, or a teenager, as I felt they were meaningless, repetitive even. The girl falls for the guy and they feel safe in each other's arms. In the end, it always ends the same. Tragic. Because there's no happy ending to love. But, I suppose that's why we have love. We have love so the end of life, the end of that story doesn't seem as tragic. We have love so we at least have some good in our lives before die. I guess that's why I had never read many love stories, because I was always afraid of the ending.

"James, Lily? Are you two down here?" Someone called from the entrance. James quickly released me and we both stood up.

"Uh, yeah!" I called back. James was standing a few feet away from me looking quite flustered. I put on a poker face for whoever it was greeting us.

Remus and Sirius piled into the shack.

"Oi! We've been worried sick about you two. What were you doing all this time?" Sirius asked. James laughed, passing it off as a cough into his sleeve.

"Playing a game." I answered.

"Well, I don't reckon you two were playing seven minutes in heaven all this time?" Remus asked jokingly. James laughed uneasily and I stamped on his foot.

"Twenty questions." I said honestly. "Anyway, what do you two want?"

"Look, I'm going to come right out and say it. We're all in a very shitty situation here! Does everyone agree?" Sirius announced, his voice echoing off the walls of the shack. "But, can we all just take a moment to think about how Harry feels? The boy's parents have been dead for almost his entire life and now they're standing right before him, healthy and alive. The boy is hurt and confused; he needs to see his parents. So, can you two put your selfish needs and distaste towards each other aside for five minutes to visit the kid?"

"Not a problem." I said. I dusted the dirt from the shack off of my skirt, and made my way towards the exit. "Coming James?"

"I most certainly am Lily."

"Well," Sirius said, seemingly surprised. "That went a lot better than expected."

••••••

"Ready?" James asked, as he placed his hand on the door knob. It was now the time that Harry was allowed visitors. I'd spent the past ten minutes pacing like mad in the common room while Ron and Hermione tried to reassure me.

"Well, ladies first I guess." He opened the door.

Harry was lying in the hospital bed. For a moment I had thought he was asleep, but then he sat up. His face was bruised slightly, though not very noticeably so. The first thing I did notice however was that his scar looked darker than usual. It was covered in dried blood, like it had been split open from the fall.

Looking into his eyes was like looking into a mirror.

"Mum?" He croaked. His voice was weak and raspy, as one's voice usually is when they wake from a long sleep. James walked in behind me and made sure to close the door tightly. "Dad?"

"Yes, Harry." I whispered. "It's us." I took a seat beside his bed. His hair was spread wildly, much like James'. I brushed his hair from his scar and stared at it sadly. James sat on the other side of his bed and placed his hand on Harry's left shoulder.

"And I'm sorry we've left you for all these years." He sat up further and stared at the two of us in disbelief.

"Mum...Dad..." He repeated.

"How about we skip the introductions and get straight to the hugs?" James suggested.

I guess awhile ago I would've said, "and for once, I agreed with Potter." But instead, I thought to myself. "You're right James, let's hug." And that's something I never wouldn't thought I'd think.

The three of us hugged if you couldn't guess what happened next. We hugged and held onto one another tightly. We did so as if it was the first and last time we'd been in each other's arms.

None of us let go, none of us wanted to let go.

ONE WEEK UNTIL CURSED CHILD!