Part 3

"Congratulations on your book Harriet!" Clive enthused, waving a bottle of champagne as he entered her office in the building she worked in occasionally.
"Oh!" She jumped as she hadn't heard him come in.
"Thank you very much!"

Clive's much shyer other half entered the room, peeking around the door to see if it was safe.
Clive ushered him in by the sleeve of his shirt and shut the door behind him.

"So, what do you think of it?" Harriet smiled, happily relieving Clive of the champagne glass.
"I think it is incredible as usual. It has this whole sex and the city vibe to it. The question is: do you and the protagonist share any experiences?"
Harriet laughed.
"Well I'd be lying if I said I hadn't taken inspiration from reality."
Clive clapped his hands and laughed wholeheartedly.
"I knew it! And that one night stand in chapter three, I think I know who that is!"
Harriet rolled her eyes.
"And how long ago was that? Over half a year ago. It's so yesterday's news Clive, get with the times."

Clive's other half Brendan laughed softly, sipping the champagne and checking his phone which started ringing.
"I've just got to take this, I'll be right back."
The pair nodded and Brendan left the office, shutting the door carefully behind him.

Clive squealed.

"Isn't he adorable? He can be a bit quiet at times but he kind of balances out my extroverted side, don't you think?"
"Honestly?" Harriet started, "I think he is probably the best thing for you, he seems very grounded and so not impulsive. So unlike you."

Clive giggled.

"Talking of impulsive, I would very much like to attend your book party launch this evening and get trashed."

Harriet crinkled up her nose in disgust.

"I don't know, I barely know any of the people going and I'll be expected to network."
"Ah come on, it'll be fun." He stood up, downing the rest of his glass, "now come on, I'm taking you out shopping for a new outfit. I'm thinking Louis Vuitton knock offs and a power suit."
"What would I do without you?" Harriet laughed, picking up her handbag and followed Clive and Brendan out onto the London streets for a bit of retail therapy.

*

Vince was laying upside down on the sofa in the shop's dressing room while he waited for his girlfriend to try on an outfit for the charity gig she was throwing for yet another cause Vince really didn't care about. He began to wonder if it was too early to request the shopping attendant to bring him a glass of something bubbly (as that was all they seemed to have in these types of shops) when the curtain was thrown back and Lexi stepped out in another jaw dropping skin tight dress.

"Yes. Get that one." He sighed.

He didn't know how much longer he could sit and wait for her while she shopped. That's all his life had become lately: shopping with Lexi, lunch with Lexi, dinner with Lexi, sex with Lexi. He wasn't upset about the last one but he was starting to feel as if he was losing out on valuable Vince time. He hadn't performed a gig in months and he couldn't remember the last time he went to a party where he could wear what he liked for the occasion.

"I think it makes me look fat, I'm going to have another look around."

Vince groaned inwardly.

There was the sound of a beautifully familiar laugh from the shop floor which caught Vince's attention as he pulled himself upright again on the sofa.

"So what do you think of this one? Power suit meets flamboyant pink."

"And also looks to be a fire hazard." Harriet laughed, Vince noticed her pulling out a white blazer and skirt with a blue and white striped top from his hiding place behind the curtain.

"Oh wonderful. You try that on. I'm going to look at shoes." Clive said.

Vince heard the curtain open behind him and his girlfriend stepped out holding the clothes over one arm as she caught his attention.

"Vincey, can you please put these on the hanger?"

Vince didn't think twice about doing what she wanted, his mind was elsewhere and he didn't fancy an argument, even if the rail was within her arms reach.

Harriet stepped through the curtain with the attendee and stopped in her tracks when she saw Vince and Lexi.
"Oh. Hello."

Lexi looked confused as she glanced at Harriet and then to Vince.

"Vince? Do you know her?" Lexi questioned, fire in her voice.
"Nah, not really, I mean, yeah, we've met a couple of times. This is Harriet. She has a book coming out. Congrats by the way." Vince smiled at Harriet as he tried to dig his way out of a very deep hole.
"Anyway, we better get going. Definitely get the outfit, very cute." He added to Harriet quietly on his way out as he dragged Lexi away from the awkward encounter and to the next shop.

He couldn't help but feel elated. Somehow seeing Harriet had stirred up some unfamiliar feelings that had his crotch twitching, an old itch he wanted to scratch.

"Oh Vince, before you go," Harriet interrupted his train of thought, "I'm not sure if it's something that would interest either of you but my book launch party is tonight at the gallery and you are more than welcome."

"Thank you but we are at a charity event this evening for disabled children." Lexi said before tearing Vince away from the conversation.

Harriet returned to the cloakroom and disappeared from Vince's view.