Part 15

Harriet knocked loudly on Vince's door before the realisation hit her. Why was she outside Vince's house? Why was she knocking on his door at midnight? And why oh why had she not topped up her lipstick in the taxi ride over here?

He probably wouldn't even be in and if he was home he was probably asleep so it would be best if she removed her fist from the wood of the door and just go home.

"Eep!" She squeaked as she heard the door unlocking on the other side as she realised that Vince was actually answering her rather persistent knocking.

Leaning against the door frame was Vince, yawning and rubbing his clear bed hair.

"Bit late for a booty call isn't it?" Vince chuckled, his voice groggy as he cleared his throat.

Now she had Vince in front of her the many questions about his TV show had poofed out of her head and she could only manage to squeeze out, "I saw an evening of madness."

Vince opened his eyes a bit wider as he raised his eyebrows.

"Oh yeah, what did you think?" He asked. He noticed before she did that she was shivering from the cold. "Come in before you freeze to death."

Harriet thanked him as she stepped inside the warm, comfortable house.

"Did you use some of my edits in the script?" Was her first question.

Vince nodded, "yeah, of course. They were very helpful, I just wish you'd edited it all." He chuckled, leading them into the living room and taking a seat on his sofa.

Harriet didn't sit down. Her nerves were shot and she was filled with electric energy that had her questioning what to do with her hands.

She chuckled nervously, scruffing her neck and the back of her hair as she prepared herself for her next question.

Calm down Harriet, she thought to herself, he only cares what you think because you're an author now, that's probably why he used your edits, don't go over thinking things.

"So was the baguette scene inspired from that afternoon in my kitchen or do you have bread fights with all the girls you sleep with?"

Vince laughed, "oh yeah, I had wondered where that idea had come from."

Harriet crossed her arms. She was agitated.

"Is that why you came over? To ask me questions about my show?"

Harriet rolled her eyes and shrugged noncommittally.

"It was plaguing my mind."

Vince stood up.

"So much so that you needed to knock on my door at midnight to ask me?"

Harriet uncrossed her arms and held her arms out, stressing visibly.

"Ugh, I don't know why I came here. I guess I saw the show, saw that you'd made some effort to include me even though I'd left you on the bus with your groupies and what with you showing up out of the blue the other week, I just, I just don't know Vince. I can't be around you but I catch myself thinking about how much fun we had together. it's a catch 22 and I fucking hate it." She sighed, her shoulders slumping.

"This was a mistake. I'm sorry. I'll go."

Vince grabbed her hand before she could leave.

"I'm the one who made the mistake, not you. Letting you get off that tour bus was the worst decision I think I've ever made. I am so sorry for the way I treated you back then, I didn't deserve you then and I don't deserve you now."