Part 4

"Damn girl you are on fire!" Clive wolf whistled as Harriet descended the stairs into the party.

It was a great turn out and there were more people here that she knew than she realised there'd be. Tonight was about her and although her mind kept wandering to disappointing thoughts of Vince not showing up she kept her head high and smiled. It was easy to smile when everyone in the room was complimenting her success and she had a chance to see her sister and her cousins, parts of the family that lived too far to regularly visit but who she missed dearly.

"It is so weird seeing your name on the front of a book. I got used to your face on your blog but now that you're actually printed and people can buy your novel...wow, just wow." Danielle said in awe.
"Tell me about it. Feels like a perfect end to a really rigorous process. I feel lighter now that I've got a story off my chest. It also seems to be popular which is a bonus."
The small crowd of friends and family chuckled at Harriet before she continued her tour of the hall, speaking to everyone she could and hearing some much needed enthusiasm for her book and her writing in general.

"Harriet, I have someone I'd like you to meet." Her colleague Julia beckoned her over and began walking with her to the bar, "you're such a lovely colleague to work with but you work too hard. I have a friend who I think you'll like."

They stopped in front of a man who held out his hand to shake.

"This is Sebastian. He works with the sound equipment for several up and coming bands."

Julia looked to Harriet and introduced her as the hard working, determined young lady.
"Nice to meet you Sebastian." Harriet shook his hand, smiling. He really was good looking, he was tall, dark skinned and had a geeky chic vibe going for him.

Julia made her excuses and left them too it, much to Harriet's horror.

"So I hear the book is a big success. Congratulations."
Harriet thanked him, more out of habit than gratitude.
"What are you drinking?" He asked.
"Wine, if you're offering?"

Sebastian nodded and ordered two glasses of red wine for the two of them.
"So what brings you here?" She asked him.
"To be perfectly honest," Harriet was expecting some corny line about being set up by Julia, "I am a bit in love with your book. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure."
Harriet raised her eyebrows.
"Really? Next you'll be telling me you sing to Beyoncé in your car."
"Only on a Friday." He smiled, giving her a wink.

*

Vince tugged at the bottom of his sleeve once again as he fidgeted in his seat. He couldn't remember the last time he'd worn a suit but he sure wouldn't be in a rush to wear one again any time soon.

Lexi glared at Vince.
"Stop moving," she whispered.

Vince was getting pretty sick of all the orders she was giving him. He really could not care less about the fund raiser, the tickets alone to this gig were astronomical let alone giving any private donations to the disabled kids, of which he had not seen a single one here.

He knew it was all for show and he was among the prestigious do gooders of society but he felt fake, faker than he had felt when he was playing a character in his act. At least with his show the character had spawned from his imagination, here he felt like a monkey in a suit and wondered when someone was going to give him a pair of cymbals and ask him to perform.

"Vince can you please stop fidgeting, we won't be sat here long."

Lexi was not a bad girlfriend by any means. She loved what she did and it was rude of him to try to get her to change. In a twisted turn of events Vince was having to change in order to be with Lexi and he wasn't sure it was worth it. Some may call him selfish and cruel but he thought that a relationship meant compromising, not favouring one person over the next.