Part 13

Michael had booked a table at the Japanese restaurant Zuma to celebrate his and Harriet's one year anniversary.

Waiting at the table he waited for Harriet to arrive, sipping casually at the red wine he'd ordered for the table.

Harriet appeared at the entrance looking out for Michael. She looked absolutely stunning, her outfit screamed posh rock chick- skin tight leather jeans teamed with white heels and a sleeveless top that was low enough around the sides that at the right angle you'd be able to see a peek of her tattoo.

Making her move towards the table Michael stood up, his hands sweating.

"Hey babe." Harriet kissed him before she took her seat opposite him, throwing her blazer over the back of the chair. "I don't know about you but I am so ready for food. Have you had a chance to look at the menu yet?"

Michael took his seat gingerly before pouring her a glass of wine.

"I've glanced at the menu, the duck sounds rather nice."

Michael watched as Harriet hungrily took in the menu. He smiled as he watched her, her eyes glossing over the options, her tongue slightly peeking out of the corner of her mouth.

"So how was your day?" She finally spoke, putting the menu down and meeting Michael's eyes.

"More of the same really. The boss is being a bit of a dick again with the deadlines but what can you do? How about yours? Have you written any more?" He shrugged as he rearranged the glasses on his nose.

Harriet sat up straighter, getting visibly excited about the story she was just about to unleash.

"Right so Liam is about to chase after Phoebe to tell her that he needs her but gets a phone call from his fiancée's brother who knows about the affair. He threatens Liam, saying that he is going to tell his sister, only Liam knows about his future brother in law's dirty secret and uses that as a kind of counter blackmail. I have a good feeling about this story."

Michael smiled.

"So Liam is kind of a bad guy then?"

"Yeah, I'd say so. I think he should have some redeemable qualities but the idea is that he is a ruthless billionaire with everything to lose."

They ordered food and continued discussing Harriet's story, Michael was offering his opinions, which Harriet found interesting and useful, having only heard ideas from publishers and other female romance writers.

The main course arrived and was devoured shortly after. Michael had ordered another special bottle of wine to celebrate their anniversary as well as Harriet's second book launch but had organised a surprise with the restaurant manager to arrive with dessert.

Two slices of white chocolate and raspberry cheesecakes arrived on small square plates. Distracted by the dessert she barely noticed Michael reaching into his jacket pocket. She did, however, see him take to his knee beside her and ask the question as two simple words.

"Marry me?"

Harriet opened her mouth and closed it again, imitating a goldfish. She did this a couple of times, utterly speechless at his sudden announcement.

"Please say something." His smile faltered but he remained on one knee, the ring box open and flashing a simple diamond engagement band that sparkled under the light.

"No." Was what finally came out of her mouth.

Michael closed the ring box but stayed on one knee.