Part 7

Harriet awoke, contented and alone in her spacious double bed. She giggled to herself as she remembered yesterday, pulling up the covers to squeeze under her chin.

It had turned out that they couldn't quite make it to the bedroom and had made love right there on the floor by the door. Instead of just leaving after he'd had his way with her, as she'd expected, he had lazily traced a maze across her shoulder with his index finger.

Vince, after noticing Harriet had practically an empty fridge, offered to nip to the shop that he'd seen on the way, giving himself yet another opportunity to leave.

On the off chance he would come back she'd made him a tea, guessing on the milk and sugar.

It had taken him a while but Vince had returned, just as his beverage was at drinking temperature, armed with a French baguette and some Brie.

They had play fought with the baguette halves, using them as swords as they pranced around the kitchen, managing to get crumbs all over the floor tiles.

It was after lunch, that Vince actually decided to leave. Harriet had agreed, knowing in the back of her mind she still had that article to write and that the day was slipping away from her.

Vince had pulled her in for a particularly passionate snog before Harriet had laughed, pushing him out of the door, not giving them the chance to get tangled up on the floor again.

Harriet stretched and climbed out of bed, feeling rejuvenated. She suddenly had an idea for her next article.

*

Vince hadn't slept.

He was wired, electric with ideas and creativity, and had written nearly an entire draft for his comedy show.

Sipping his coffee he re read the work he'd written, swearing to god or whoever was listening, that it was the best piece of writing he had ever pulled from his strange mind. Of course this was all subject to Vince's scrutiny once he'd slept as not all ideas formed in the middle of the night were necessarily good.

His phone rang incessantly, the constant buzzing on the table a massive distraction. To make it stop he picked up the mobile and answered, not even bothering to check the caller ID.

"Vince? You're alright! I thought something had happened to you since you weren't answering your phone." It was Lexi.

Vince looked absently at the clock on the wall, the time was 10.15 am and it wouldn't be an unreasonable time to call him on a usual day.

"I'm fine. Just writing." He answered. He wondered why she was calling. Had she left something at his that she wanted to pick up, even after she had basically sent a small swat team of friends and family to collect her possessions after the split?

"I'm glad you're ok." She replied.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" Vince asked, getting a bit frustrated that she was interrupting.

After a long pause Lexi finally said something unclear, cleared her throat and spoke clearly.

"I miss you."

Vince was dumbfounded and lost for words. Lexi had never been one for lovey dovey feelings, that was part of her appeal. Now she was making it clear that she wanted to see him again and possibly be with him again. It was all too much to take in.

"Look Lexi, I don't think that would be such a good idea." He remembered having a similar conversation about good ideas with Harriet and smiled at the memory.