Chapter Two.

Friday

I saw Kaden sitting over at the lunch table alone as he typed on his phone. I had told him to come here without me when he came to pick me up a little while ago. I jogged--trying to be as sneaky as I could at the same time, happy that other students were around--then I threw my arms up and wrapped them around his neck.

"Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!" I sang.

I didn't except him to jump or anything so all he did was chuckle, "Nice try, brat." I pursed my lips as I sat down next to him and held the container of two double chocolate peanut butter icing cupcakes. His favorite.

I sat down next to him, "I made you these." I said, smiling again.

He opened the contained and examined them, "You made them?" he questioned and arched an eyebrow.

"Weeeeell," I said slowly. "I had help."

I'm no Betty Crocker and Kaden knows that. If I try to bake anything, it's always either undercooked or burned. My mom an amazing cook though and she knows how to make the best cupcakes.

"I made the batter which was constantly examined every five seconds by mother dearest. I also spread the icing, so I get credit for mixing and icing," I said chuckling. He chuckled too and took a bite.

As he chewed, he nodded, "Hmm, not bad, Jesse,"

I gave him a confident grin, "Well, not to brag but I am amazing." I said, leaning back on the seat.

He gave me a one sided grin, making my heart skip a beat, "Don't think you're Betty Crocker now. You had help so don't think that you're a genius,"

I just rolled my eyes and lifted my bag to take out the milk pint which I gave to him. He thanked me and finished both the cupcakes. He took gulps of the milk and it was empty in matter of ten seconds. My mouth dropped.

"Whoa, hungry?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, I am. I ate breakfast, but I am still hungry for some reason."

"Well, cupcakes aren't really a good choice for breakfast, but I guess since it's your birthday, it can be overlooked." I said.

He frowned, "It isn't my birthday till ten thirteen tonight," Again, I raised my eyebrows at this. What is scaring him? Why does he hate it when someone brings it up? It's like when his friend Danny brought up having a party this weekend for him and Kaden got pissed off and told him 'no'. All he did was get mad whenever someone would bring up his birthday and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

"Okay, tell me," I said, crossing my left leg over my other, crossing my arms over my chest in the same motion. He gave me a confused look and raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so scared? What's so bad about your birthday?"

"You wouldn't understand, Jesse." he said again for the thousandth time.

"Understand what?" I asked. "Just tell me and I'll try,"

He shook his head, "No, I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't,"

Getting irritated, I scowled at him and got up from the chair and threw my bag over my shoulder, "You know what, Kaden? Forget it. Sorry that I'm just curious and concerned for you. I thought I could help and hopefully make your eighteenth birthday wonderful." with that, I turned and walked away.

I heard his chair screech, "Jesse wait, I'm sorry!" he called out, but I continued to walk away.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared down at the ground as I got lost in thought. Why does he have to be such an immature jerk? What is so big that he couldn't just tell me? I'm his friend for God sakes! We pretty much grew up with each other and now he decided to become distant? In grade school and throughout his high school years he didn't mind people knowing I was his friend! Now he thinks he's a senior he can just treat me like I'm some girl in the crowd like the rest do?