Chapter 28: All the Lonesome

My eyes opened of their own accord as I felt around the empty bed. He was gone. Probably for the next month whereas I have to start speaking with my dad about my business degree.

My dream of being a chef is still very much alive, well slowly simmering down though.

I brave myself for a day alone and slowly turn on my side. I didn't want get up and meet my dad, but I had to. The mansion was empty. No chauffeurs, no maids, nobody but me and the giant rooms. I had sent them away because I truly needed space and absolute silence. The last two weeks were the toughest I've ever faced.

I took it upon myself to explore the place when I get out of bed.

I quickly showered and walked into the giant closet.

It smelled like Adam.

I put on the yellow dress, the one Adam had chosen, the one I had worn to Jase's funeral and smiled at my reflection before taking it off and wearing jeans and a sweater. By now it was probably mid- September. Three months after my wedding and our relationship was still very shaky. Our relationship. I think I've finally accepted the fact that we might be friends now.

I decided not to wear any makeup. Who cares, who have I got to impress besides Adam.

I grabbed my phone from off the bedside table. The first thing I noticed were the messages from Brad and Pure. A dozen emails popped up on my screen.

Check the news!

I frantically searched my name on google. I wanted to tear down every news reporting company in town. What a load of assholes.

There was a picture of me and Christian inside the café. Another of him kissing me and a final one of me slapping his hand away.

The title was what got to me worst of all.

Eleanor Carnegie: The Cheat

I scrolled down to read whatever lie was written about me on the internet. I wasn't really sure if I even wanted to read this. I was so done with the fake news and news reporters anyway.

While some of you may hate Eleanor Hays, we here at L&L publishing do not. Before this story gets twisted, we would like to let you all know that Eleanor was only out to see a friend. A very touchy friend who she didn't seem to mind kissing whereas poor old Adam was nowhere in sight. Have they divorced? Thank the lord, has he left her yet?

We here at L&L publishing have come to the conclusion that she was out again living the single life without Adam. Sure, no problem when you're stinking rich. We just hope he comes to his senses and finds a girl who ISN'T a prostitute.

I tossed my phone aside angrily. I didn't care anymore. I didn't want to read the rest. Adam knew I was messed up and so did I, there was no point in trying to prove myself innocent when I was so clearly guilty.

I sat on the bed once again, maybe I should stay in today too. Lay low from the paparazzi.

I reached for my phone to call my dad and inform him of my revelation.

But just as I was about to call, my screen flashed with the name of Adam Carnegie. I felt a sinking feeling before deciding to pick up and explain before he went wild.

"Hey, babe." I heard him say, I was astonished at how calm he sounded.

"Listen, Adam, if you haven't heard anything on the news yet, I would like you to hear from me first."

"Eleanor, your excuses are making it really hard for me to trust you. I love you and you know that, but. . ." He began but I cut him off.

"That's the thing! I had nobody to talk to and I needed some advice on how to have you trust me again. I couldn't talk to Pure and Noah because they are on their honeymoon and Brad is in another state. Mattea took a break today and I didn't even have you to talk to about how sorry I am. Please forgive me, Adam. I slapped him, I didn't kiss him back. I just wanted you to know that. I can't even fathom the. . ."