Chapter 29: Homeless Shelters and Potato Soup

I have never liked working in business. But as soon as my flight landed in California and as soon as my cab driver arrived to pick me up, I was gone. Hopefully to be gone missing for the next few days.

I never had a chance to be alone. To explore. And maybe this time if I end up at Pure and Noah's home in some random act of nature, Adam will show up and take me away again like the moment before our wedding.

"Hi dad." I said, "I can't come today either, but I promise I will actually come to work tomorrow or drop by later today." I said.

"Eleanor, you can't keep being so irresponsible. I have given you your time after your wedding and its been a whole month after Jase's death, I don't understand why you keep putting it off. Is anything going wrong with your relationship with Adam? Because if something is, I suggest you suck it up and deal with this matter because you have two years left with this man."

"I'm fine." Biggest lie told in history. "And its actually just a year and nine months."

"Actually. . ." he paused, " I have this new plan set and if it works, you'll be out of these bounds in only eight months, but if it doesn't, you may be stuck for three more years." I hesitated. I didn't care anymore. The only reason I wanted to be out of this marriage was because I needed something to talk about. My parents still think I'm mad at them for setting me up with Adam when in actuality he is the best thing to ever happen to me. And because I missed Adam so deeply that it actually hurt to think about him.

"That's fine dad. See you tomorrow." I said.

"That's suspicious, since when did. . ." He began but I cut him off, if he doesn't want me to be nice, I may as well be snarky and stuck-up like he raised me to be.

"Did I not care about you interfering and messing up my life repeatedly? Well I guess you could say I am sick of it. And way over it actually. Bye dad." I hung up.

What to do. What to do. I could call Adam. Or I could find something else to do.

The latter sounds better than the former. I walked around the LAX airport for a couple minutes before getting into a cab.

"Where to Miss?"

"Surprise me."

¤¤¤

I ended up outside of a homeless shelter. The poor cab driver must have thought I was homeless. I paid him over seventy-five dollars over an hour-long ride. It was probably near his home too.

"Miss, if you need a place to stay, I am sure my family would be fine with it. But if you would rather stay here, that's fine as well." He smiled kindly.

"Um. I think I will just go here. But that's a very sweet offer." I smiled, stepping out of the cab and walking toward the homeless shelter.

I've decided to start calling the paparazzi Pops because they literally keep popping up out of nowhere. I had not seen them at first until I entered into the shelter and decided that I wanted to do something kind today.

I walked in and immediately several of them seemed to recognize me.

"Eleanor Carnegie. What are you doing here? The television says that you're in Washington." One older woman said.

"I want to help out." I said, shaking her hand and handing her a twenty. I felt in the giving spirit today even though it was nowhere near Christmas.

"Wow, thank you so much." She grinned, hugging me. I felt somewhat icky, I didn't know if there were showers at the homeless shelter.

"Excuse me. Who are. . . Eleanor Carnegie! What on earth are you doing here?" With all these people recognizing me, you would have thought that I married a prince or something like that. Yeah, or something like that is right.