Chapter 38: Under the Weather

Eleanor and Adam in the Photo attached.

The house seems so empty now without Rachel here anymore. I sort of missed her now and her annoying advice.

Adam had left for work this morning and I had decided to take up jogging. I guess besides knitting and reading while I was bored, running was the next best thing. I ran around the block but realized that I wasn't built for this and walked back home.

However, one teensy little problem happened on my way home.

I was stuck between a fence with a dog chasing me that was too big to fit through and it was viciously snarling at me. I didn't even have my phone with me so I climbed up the fence, scraping my hand at the top, but I continued on as the door forced itself between the two fences. I screamed, but nobody could hear me for miles. I slowly walked over the fences as though they were a high wire that I couldn't lose balance from or I would fall to my doom.

The savage barked at me as though I were a demon in disguise. It jumped on the fence, shaking it. I was so close to home, now I was stuck on some random neighbors fence with a deadly animal trying to eat me.

For a second I figured I would just fall to my doom. Nobody would even notice. But that was before a black van parked in front of the gate. A tall man stepped out.

Mr. Carnegie. I could recognize him anywhere, the stern angry look on his face.

"Fido!" He called for his dog. I watched in fear as another man stepped out beside him. This man wasn't in a suit. He had a leash in his hand and a smug grin on his face. He grabbed the dog and put it in the van.

"Eleanor." Mr. Carnegie chuckled, "what are you doing up there?" He laughed, signaling for me to come down. I smiled back.

"Sorry, Mr. Carnegie. I was afraid of the dog." I laughed, slowly climbing down from the fence with the blood from my cut staining the fence.

"Fido wouldn't hurt a fly." He smirked. For a moment I was confused how his dog had ended up at the exact place I was and why Mr. Carnegie was being so weird.

"Where's Adam?" He asked casually, crossing his arms and looking sternly at my blue sweatpants and a gray sweatshirt.

"He's at the office," I replied.

"Oh, at what time will he return?" Mr. Carnegie seemed suspicious, maybe it was the black van or the creepy quiet guy beside him but something seemed off right now and my instincts told me to run. But that would be rude, especially in front of my husband's father.

"Um. . ." I replied.

"You don't know anything do you?" Mr. Carnegie smirked, walking circles around me with his arms crossed and an evil smirk on his face.

"Excuse me?" I asked, rather shocked, "He will be home tonight?" I replied, shocked by his open rudeness toward me.

"That's right. You don't understand." He continued, speaking more to himself than to me. "He doesn't love you, it was a play. I told him that if he gets you to fall in love with him before six months, I would give him a new private jet."

"That's not true. Adam isn't like that."

"Quite the contrary Miss Hays." He emphasized, "it has always been a game. A plot in which I take pride in. Who would have ever thought you, a prostitute would ever love him back?" Mr. Carnegie's laugh sent a surge of fear right through me. He laughed heartily.

His words weren't processing in my mind correctly.

"You're lying," I shouted, biting back tears from his stinging words.

"You'd like to believe that wouldn't you Eleanor?" He smirked. "Your family needed help. So I helped them, with the mere price of my amusement. I fear that stupid boy might actually stop faking and by the way, the bull he told you about having to wait a year was completely of his own accord. He just doesn't want you. "

"How the hell do you know what we said?!"

"Silly, stupid, girl. You were too focused on trying to have sex with my son that you never noticed the small chip he had in his ears. That's how I knew everything silly child" He smirked.

"Why are you telling me this?" I gave up, trying to stop myself from shaking due to the tears about to trail down my cheeks.

"Because of this, dear Eleanor, I want you to separate him. Your parents will be fine, you have my word, but if you stay with my son for a moment longer I will make it my aim to destroy you and your family. Time to cut your losses, the only two left." He snarled, referring to the only people left in my life. He had a smug smirk on his devious face.

"N. . .no." I stuttered, tears dripping down my face.

"Okay. You made your choice. I guess I will have to make mine. Clayton!" He shouted to the man with him as he quickly grabbed me and put a cloth coated in alcohol to my face.

In seconds, I was out.

********
I know this chapter is super short and I apologize for that. The next few chapters will be written in the third person because there's really no way to write about what is going on than in that way.

Be afraid. Poor Eleanor.