Chapter 31 - Tris

A/N: Thanks to everyone for making this story such a success.  The votes, comments, reads, and follows are much appreciated.  Enjoy.

I feel my phone vibrate in my pants pocket for the fifth time today, and try to hold back my disgust knowing who it probably is. I'm probably in the most compromising position to get a phone call right now, given that I'm trying to stretch Mr. Richardson's hamstring. He suddenly looks up at me with a huge grin on his face. Only then do I realize that my phone is vibrating against his leg, and I have hard time suppressing a laugh. That is until he says, "Well Ms. Prior, I'm glad one of us is enjoying this."

I about fall off the mat table trying desperately not to laugh, but a snort does slip out. I like Mr. Richardson, he's one of the few old guys around here that isn't your typical grumpy old man, and he has great stories about his life before his wife passed last year. "Well John, I would like to say that I'm excited to see you past a therapist-patient relationship, but it's just my phone. Though, I think it may be trying to secretly communicate to you that it wants a 9 o'clock rendezvous."

Mr. Richardson starts laughing as I finish the stretch, and place his leg back down. "So doll, who's trying to interrupt our meeting this time?" Giving me a quick wink.

I smile. "Do you really want me to check John? Because I can almost guarantee it isn't anyone of consequence." I help him sit up from his supine positon, making sure he doesn't fall forward.

"What's life without a little interruption?"

Rolling my eyes. "You're just trying to get out of doing exercises. I'm not a fool John."

He laughs, "Alright you caught me. But I need a little spice in my life. Indulge me."

I sigh, pulling the phone out of my pocket to look at the missed called. It's from Chicago.

John must see my face fall, because he says, "Did you miss a call from your new boyfriend?"

I can't help but smile at the mention of Tobias, "No John, if that was him calling, I would have dropped you like a hot rock."

He places his hand to his heart, mock hurt on his face, "You my dear, know exactly what to say to hurt this old man."

I laugh, "John, it's just a solicitor. More than likely asking if I want to switch jobs to some remote location in Montana because no one wants to move there."  At least that's the story I'm telling him, and everyone else that has been asking this week. 

I rub my hands together, trying to get the focus off me. "Alright, what shall we do next?"

**********

I never thought I would be so excited for Tori to tell me to leave early. But when she said my last two patients' had gone out with family, I didn't even ask if I could help her with anything before I was out the door. Especially finding out that my last patient was Mr. Barnett, even if it was to discharge him. Apparently David had convinced his dying grandfather to try a treatment he had concocted, thinking it might cure him, or slow the progress. I can't help but feel a small pang of sadness for that man's futile attempts to save his grandfather, but he's still an ass.

I'm just about to unlock the door to my car when my phone rings again. I pull it out of my purse glancing at the number. I scowl at the phone seeing that the area code is from Chicago again. "Damn it," I growl.

This has been the week from hell, and these phone calls are not helping. I know if I continue to ignore it, they'll only call back again and again. I take a quick breath in and hit accept.