chapter three: [first taste]

"Sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together."

     Indigo's POV

    I woke up the next morning, feeling different. I didn't swing my legs out from under the comforter, standing up quickly in enthusiasm to start the day or see certain people. My eyes opened to light trying to stream through the curtains on my window, a stripe of golden yellow glowing on my ceiling. I stared at it blankly, focusing. Not really for any reason. Just- staring off.

  I didn't hear any noises of people roaming about the house, which meant Scott was already at school and Melissa had an early shift. For a moment, I wondered why neither she nor Scott had bothered to wake me up. But Scott had probably spoken to her about last night and both of them saw best to let me stay home for one day.

  I shoved the comforter to a pile at the end of the bed, revealing my legs and feet. I got up and off the mattress, exhaling slowly as I prepared for the day.

   A piece of paper was folded on my bedside table, my name scribbled across it. I furrowed my eyebrows, picking it up and opening it, seeing someone had written something to me

      Indigo,

Scott explained everything to me. I'm sorry, Indigo. As a mother, it hurts to see you sleeping with dried tears on your face. It hurts to see you so hurt. I don't like that you had to go through something like this, next to everything else in this town. I wished I could have stayed home today so you could vent to me, but unfortunately, things like work get in the way. Scott wanted to stay home as well, but for some reason, it didn't seem right for you to talk to someone who was going to be on both teams of this fight.

So, for your stay at the house, there's something in the fridge for you. Working at a hospital, you get some perks. Like all access to rooms. Well, more like I know where the keys are. But I, and Scott too, have noticed you haven't eaten a thing since you got here. In your case, you haven't had your blood supply Scott told me about. He was very adamant I get you a certain blood, because if you were going to drink anything else, you would go insane. So, I opted for his advice. Please drink it. Emotional pain can easily turn into physical pain if you don't take care of yourself.

     Love, Mom. (P.S. it always gets better)

   I smiled barely, setting the letter down. Walking out of the room on my way to the kitchen, I noticed Melissa was right. I hadn't had a thing since I got here. Maybe that's why I was so exhausted recently. The lack of blood must've been messing with me, like the book said.

  I stepped down the stairs and rounded the banister, my feet padding down the hallway until I reached the kitchen. I reached for the fridge door handle and pulled it open, the white light turning on. Miscellaneous foods sat, but one stood out, and I instantly knew.

   A clear-ish bag, filled with red. A deep, dark red. As soon as I saw it, my mouth began watering and my fangs elongated, poking my lower lip. Using my other hand, I grabbed it, the bag limp in my hand. I gazed to the white label on the front.

   Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital.

   Blood Type: AB+