chapter seventeen: [divine move]

"We were just children thrown into an adult world, and now- we're not kids anymore."

   Indigo's POV

      My arms wrapped around my torso kept my body from shaking. The grip on my upper arms that pinched my skin reminded me I wasn't dreaming. This wasn't some long, horrible nightmare. This was real. Every. Single. Detail.

       Lydia and Isaac sat next to me, all in the same still position as we waited in the Sheriff's station. We hadn't spoken since we got to the station, and to be fairly honest- I didn't think I would be able to. My lips had been sealed ever since my last scream and my throat was sore and tight from tears. Aching. But I had no need to move, no need to do anything. I just wanted to sit here, still and quiet forever. The ring of deputy phones occasionally caused me to jump, doors shutting frequently.

    " Scott. Indigo, I need- Hey, look at me."

Our shivering and shaken bodies turned to Argent, seeing his stern face. Although the man looked put together, the two could sense that the father looked like he was about to break.

   "Remember- you two called me first. Remember." He firmly told us. "Say it. Say you called me."

My lip trembled, but our voices mumbled in unison. "We called- you first."

     "You say Argent, or dad." He spoke again.

"We called her dad first..." Scott sucked in a breath after the words, gripping the gate of the old camp, knuckles white.

     "What. Happened." Argent kept his smooth voice. For the routine.

    "T-there were two of them-" My voice whispered out. My gaze stayed on the shoelaces of Scott's shoes, because I knew if I moved my eyes anywhere else, I would fall apart all over again.

"They- they tried to steal our car, they went at us. They had a knife-"

     "You think." Argent corrected. "Don't get specific. You saw something sharp, and metallic. You think it was a knife. What do you say next?"

I heard Scott take a breath, and thankfully, I let him continue.

    "If you get confused, what do you always repeat?" Argent spoke again when Scott didn't talk.

"It- It happened so fast." Scott nodded, shutting his eyes for a moment as he shook his head.

     "Say it again." Argent demanded. When Scott simply blinked, heavily breathing, Argent gripped his shoulder, making me jump in place, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Scott, say it again."

     Scott only looked to him, eyes wide. His head shook. "How- how are you doing this?"

Argent's face fell, before he looked away from Scott's eyes. "It's what we do. It's- it's what we do."

      Argent's hand fell from Scott as he walked away, head tilted downward as his shoes scuffed against the aged concrete. I bit my lip, leaning my forehead against the cold gate.