Escaping...Hopefully

Someone thought it would be funny to write on my fortune cookie, "For rental use only."

"Scared?" I turned to Kenzie.

"Are you serious?" She responded. "When am I never not scared."

I mentally slapped my forehead before slimming off the window ledge.

For a minute, I was airborne. Then I smacked into the dirt face first.

"Oof!" I wheezed.

"LOOK OUT!" Kenz cried. I tried to scoot away, but she slammed down on top of me.

"Oof!" I wheezed again.

"Sorry," She whispered and rolled off me. I climbed back onto my feet before pointedly brushing myself off.

"Let's go," I said and began jogging into the trees. The house was surrounded on all sides by a massive forest, but hopefully there was a fast food place close by.

We ran for about fifteen minutes before I froze. I could hear faint crunching of leaves and people talking.

I pulled Kenzie over to an oak tree and ordered, "Climb."

"What?" She looked at me incredulously. "I've never climbed a tree in my entire life!"

"Then I guess it's time to learn," I ushered her up the first branch. As she climbed I followed close behind, telling her where to put her feet and hands.

Finally, we were both perched on one of the highest branches. And just in time.

My kidnapper and two other guys burst into the clearing looking around.

"Their scent stops here," A guy with shaggy blonde hair said looking puzzled. Hey! That was the guy I ran into in the bathroom! Small world.

"Then they have to be around here somewhere," My kidnapper, Jason I remembered, concluded.

I turned to ask Kenz but then, the worst thing happened.

I lost my balance.

I tipped to my left and my feet slipped off the branch. My hands scrambled for purchase but I couldn't grasp anything and I cried out as I tumbled down the tree until finally my back slammed into the ground.

I fell in between the two other guys, who were staring at me as if I'd grown another head.

"Oh, Hey," I wheezed. "Didn't see you there."

"Really," The one on the right drawled. He had the shaggy blonde hair and bright green eyes. "Nice excuse, bathroom girl."

"Bathroom girl?!" I exclaimed indignantly. "That's the best you came up with.'' I drew my knife and pointed the tip at him as Kenzie dropped to the ground, landing next to me. I climbed swiftly to my feet.

''Where did you get those?" Jason asked.

I opened my mouth but Kenzie beat me to it. "We found them in a locked chest under a bed."

Jason's eyebrow shot up and it was my turn to slap my forehead.

Jason looked at me, "You look tense, sweetheart."

"You just have that affect on people," I retorted.

"We should probably be heading home now," Blonde guy spoke up. "Nasty things come out at night."

"Like you guys?" I countered.

Blondie narrowed his eyes at me, "You should respect your elders, that's what I always say."

I narrowed my eyes back, "You know what I always say? Don't talk to strangers."

Jason looked at me and mock pouted, "Strangers? You wound me."

"Besides, either way you two are coming with us," The one on the left piped up. He had brown hair and hazel eyes and a slight scar on his forehead.

"Come and take us then," Kenzie grinned with that mischievous glint in her eyes. Dang, I love that glint.

Jason strolled over to me and I quickly aimed my knife at his head. For a moment I considered running, but he would probably catch up to me.

Then, Jason ran towards me.

Two days worth of self defense classes, don't fail me now!

I swiftly stepped to the side and hooked out a foot, tripping him. He stumbled and for a moment, looked impressed, and then came at me again. This time I didn't dodge fast enough and he tackled he to the ground.

After he grabbed my knives and tossed them away, his hands hit the dirt on either side of my head and wiggled his eyebrows. I was in quite the pickle. It I tried to surge upwards, I would crash into his his chest.

"Chutes and ladders," I complained, deciding not to comment on that.

"Nice try," He winked.

I stretched my arm out as far as it could go towards the knife, straining my fingers, all while he looked at me in amusement. With a huff I gave up.

I am toast.