Chapter 10

Isabelle's P.O.V

It has been a week since Nate kissed me and a week since I have talked to him. To be fair, I hadn't seen any of my friends because of all the extra shifts I was picking up at work. Though, that still didn't explain why Nate had not even sent me so much as a text. He had my number he could easily text me and I guess the same could be said to me, which the girls had endlessly pointed out during our phone conversation. But every time I went to send a message to him I chickened out. Which made me wonder if maybe that's the reason he had yet to message me. I had also played with the idea that he completely regretted his decision to kiss me and now he was avoiding me like the plague. The girls quickly shot down that and insisted he was just nervous. I agreed, but the idea still sat in the back of my mind and tormented me endlessly.

This weekend was our annual camping trip and I should've been excited. Except that, it meant that Nate would be there. And since this whole awkwardness had not yet been solved between Nate and I it was going to definitely affect the trip. I sighed as I hopped on my bike to work another shift.

This week had dragged on, between constantly checking my phone for messages that didn't come and a full work week dealing with tourists who seemed hell bent on making my job extremely difficult. I was ready for the weekend and thankfully today was payday.

I arrived at work to find it already packed and I grumbled as I made my way across the pier. It was a record-breaking day as the weather man had said this morning and he wasn't lying. The tourists were going to be clogging up the beach and the ice cream shop, looking for ways to cool down from the heat. I walked into work and was instantly hit with a blast of cold air from the AC, but that didn't last long as I moved through the line of people. Due to the high volume of people in the shop, it was hotter then it should've been and reek of sweat and B.O.

I reached the counter and was shocked to see an attractive guy serving customers. He looked like he had just walked out of a Calvin Klein add and completely out of place behind the counter of an ice cream shop. He had on black basketball shorts and a white v-neck t-shirt, he was wearing black Nike running shoes and a plain white hat on backward. I guess I was staring because suddenly he was in front of me and his mouth was moving but my brain wasn't registering the words. I shook my head and smiled. "Sorry, I didn't hear a word you just said," I smiled to show I wasn't being rude. "I said you must be Isabelle." He gave me a smirk. "Yes, sorry the heat is frying my brain." I gave an awkward laugh and went to serving the line of customers. I cursed myself for being such a dork.

Once the rush had slowed down I began busying myself. My embarrassment from early still hadn't subsided and I didn't want to have a conversation with the guy just yet. I was assuming he was one of Elena's many grandchildren but I didn't recognize him from previous summers. I had been doing a great job avoiding the guy until he cornered me in the freezer.

"I'm Josh by the way." He gave me an award winning smile that probably made all the girls drool. Up close you could that he had jet black hair and a set of grey-blue eyes. "Nice to meet you, you already know my name," I said and maneuvered around him to get out of the cooler. Embarrassment aside, as hot as Josh was, he strikes me as the kind of guy who knew he was hot and thought he could get any girl. He followed hot on my heels and continued to talk. "I'm sure you've guessed, but I'm Elena and ____ grandson." He gave me another one of his award winning smiles. "Yeah, although I've come to this place for most of my adolescent life and have never seen you working here," I said because it was true and I was curious. Looking back at the many summers I spent coming here I had never once seen him.

"Oh I used to go to a sports camp during the summers but since I'm going off to college in the fall my parent's wanted me to save up some money." I nodded my head and continued to busy myself. Josh continued to follow me around as I cleaned up empty tables. "So you've lived here your whole life then?" He asked, but it sounded more like a statement than a question. Again I responded with a nod.