Chapter 5

Chapter Five 

When I got to the party with Brayden and his friends I was a little nervous to say the least. Meeting all these new people in one night was a little more then overwhelming. As everyone began getting out of the car I hung back with Spencer for a bit. When I finally got the nerve to get out, I walked around the car and that’s when I first noticed her. She was thin with curves and medium height. Her long blonde hair fell into beach waves around her face. Her eyes from what I could tell looked blue. She had a loose fitting v-neck T-shirt and a pair of jean shorts on. I caught her eye and was about to introduce myself when Spencer yelled for us to get back into the truck. 

Brayden introduced me to most of his friends except for the mystery girl. She seemed to travel from group to group. I only caught glimpses of her, never long enough to ask Brayden who she was. There had to be about a hundred people at this party maybe more. I found a spot by the bonfire where I could see mostly everyone. This party definitely beat any party we threw back home. Everyone here seemed nice enough. I saw Brayden push through the crowd towards me.  You could tell he was feeling pretty good because he stumbled a few times. “Hey bro, how you feeling so far?” Brayden turned to face the party and nudged me. “Pretty good, this is amazing. Back home we never had parties this big” I smiled at him. I looked up and saw her with the girls I had met earlier. “Brayden, whats that girls name?” I point to her and hoped he knew who I was talking about. “Oh, that’s Isabelle! I can introduce you?” He looked over at me. “Nah, I can do it! Thanks man” I patted him on the shoulder and hoped he did not mind. I made my way through the crowd towards the truck where she seemed to be heading. I was so distracted that I never even noticed when she turned around. That’s when she spilt the remaining part of her drink on me. 

***

He was smiling at me when I finally got a grip. “I’m so sorry.” I looked down to realize I was grabbing onto him and quickly let go. “It’s alright, It’s too hot to be wearing a sweater anyway.” He looked at me and smiled. My breath caught in my mouth. His smile was perfect and made my heart skip a beat.  He proceeded to take off his sweater. He had short shaggy brown hair and his eyes were a warm brown. When he spoke I detected a accent maybe southern? When he took off his sweater he revealed a fitted T-shirt and he had khaki shorts on. His T-shirt lifted a bit as he pulled his sweater over his head revealing a set of abs. I turned away and blushed.You could tell he was not from around here because well other people did not have shoes on, he did. “You’re not from around here?” I smiled and he laughed. “No, I thought I would crash this party.” He smirked at me. “My names Nate by the way.” He put out his hand for to shake it. Definitely a southern man. “Nice to meet you, I’m Isabelle” I shook his hand. “I was about to get a drink and I promise not to spill it on you if you want to join.” I smiled and pointed over at the coolers on the cab of the truck. “Yeah, I was heading that way” He smiled and put his hand on my back to help me push through the crowd that had formed near the cooler. “So what do you drink?” He smiled and I could not help but noticed his hand was still on my back. “Well, tonight I’m drinking Palm Bays.” I took the tangerine palm bay out of the cooler and cracked it open. “So what about you?” Nate moved his hand from my back, which was disappointing and leaned pasted me to grab a beer. I felt tingles where his hand had been“Oh right” I smiled and blushed a bit. 

***

I moved my hand when I realized were I was resting it. I did not want to make her feel uncomfortable in anyway. Isabelle smiled at me. Her eyes were so intriguing, they seemed to be always changing colors. They danced with the colors in the flames of the bonfire. “So, do you want to maybe walk down the beach?” Isabelle directed her body in the direction she wanted to walk. “Yeah, I would love too.” She began walking and I fell into step with her. “So how long have you lived here” I asked. “I was born here, this town is all I’ve ever known” She looked up and smiled. “How about you?” “I moved here because my parents wanted a change of scene. My dads job offered him a promotion and he took it.” I looked down at her. “You were okay with that? Leaving your friends just before your last year of High School?” She looked at me with a pained expression. “Well, yes and no, I knew I would miss all my friends but I was happy for my dad. He asked me if it was alright first.” “At least they asked” She stopped and turned to face me. She was opening her mouth to say something then her eyes widened. At first I thought it was me until I realized she was looking over my shoulder. Before I could ask what she was looking at Brayden passed by scooped her up in his arms and ran into the water. 

***

“BRAYDEN! PUT ME DOWN THIS INSTANCE!” I screamed. “Alright you said so.” Brayden said with a laugh. Before I even realized what I had just said, I was thrown in the air and landing into the water. I shot out of the water as fast as I had gone down. I was just about to say something when Brayden cut me off. “Oh no, you told me to drop you. I was simply doing as I was told.” He smirked at me. I went underwater and grabbed what I hoped was his foot and pulled him underwater. When I came up everyone was in the water splashing each other. I started laughing along with the rest of them. I ran out of the water to grabbed my camera and caught some quick shots everyone. “Wow, some photos you got there.” I jumped back and turned to see Nate soaking wet. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.” He blushed. “No, it’s okay I just thought I was the only one out of the water.” I smiled and wiped a droplet heading towards his eye. He lifted his gaze and was looking straight into my eyes. My hand froze on his cheek and my heart began pounding so fast I almost believed he would be able to hear it. “Um... We should probably head back to the party.” I stammered. “Uh..yeah probably.” He smiled and began moving towards the water were everyone was still laughing and splashing one another. I stood there as he walked towards the shoreline. Maybe it was the alcohol affecting me but I swear I thought we just had a moment. I slowly began walking to the water. All I could think about was his eyes and the way he smiled at me. This summer was going to full of surprises. 

After everyone finally left the water the rest of the night became a blur. There was singing by the fire and dancing. Someone decided it would be funny to streak. Personally I’m glad my vision was a little blurred from that sight. Slowly everyone began heading home. We cleaned up the best we could. Spencer and Liz had to do most of the cleaning. The rest of us were laughing and mostly falling over. When we finally made it back to my place we were all pretty worn out. I snuggled into bed and before I knew it I was sleeping.