Chapter 14

Isabelle's P.O.V

I woke up the next morning in a great mood. Probably because of my amazing date last night and the fact I could smell the bacon being cooked downstairs. I rushed down the steps and into the kitchen. My dad was cooking breakfast while my mom was setting the table outside. "Morning bug," I groaned, ever since the mention of boys my dad has been saying my old nickname he used to call me. "Morning, let's archive that nickname," I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, being careful to avoid the droplets of grease that were popping off the fryer. "No can do," He smiled down at me and I shook my head.

My dad served the food and gave me a plate that could feed three people. "Um, dad why do I have so much food on my plate?" I asked and tried to switch plates with my mother, who pulled hers away from my grasp. "I'm fating you up," He stated like it was a regular thing to say. "I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or be scared your the witch from Hansel and Grettle," I said as I eyed him suspiciously.

"It's so you can't sneak out your window to see this Nate boy at night." He said and my mom looked at him like he was crazy. "Dad, the drop from my window alone deters me from sneaking out, not to mention I can just use the front door," I sighed and began picking at my meal.

"Tom, Nate is a nice boy. Let your daughter be happy." My mom sighed and gave him the look that meant shut up. "We know nothing about this boy! For all we know he could be a killer," Mom and I both gave him pointed looks and shook our heads. "I would've been dead already if that statement was true," I sighed. "Tom really? Look Isabelle will invite him over for dinner so you can meet him," I was about to protest when my mom shot me a look to zip it and nod. "Alright," My father grumbled out and focused on his breakfast. Suddenly at the prospect of my father scaring Nate off, I was no longer hungry.

***

After breakfast, I began getting ready for the annual Beach Games Competition. The Beach Games Competition was a day event our town did every summer and consisted of various sports and games. This year they had decided on old school games like egg toss and three legged races. Because the rules stated we could only have five people in a group we had to be split up into two separate teams. Thankfully, before all the drama we had agreed Nathan and Anna were team captains.

I slipped on my shorts and tank top over my bikini just as my phone buzzed. I looked down to see a text from Liz reminding me to bring the food and chairs. I typed a quick response and headed out the door. The beach games were held on the main beach where the tourist hung out, so the town could push them to join the competition. Usually, the tourists just watched while making sure their children didn't destroy the castles before the contest was finished.

I pulled up to the main beach to find it already packed. After ten minutes I found a spot on the far side of the packing lot. I grumbled realising I was going to have to carry the cooler, which weighed forty pounds, further then expected. I was half way to the beach when Nate came walking over. "Why didn't you text me? I would've came and helped you caring this," He asked and quickly took the cooler from my hands. "Thank-you," I said and could all but kiss him as I rubbed my aching arms. "I didn't think you would be here yet," I said, responding to his earlier question. "Yeah, the boys got here early to scope out the competition." Nate said, his voice laced with sarcasm. I nodded and fell into step with him and tried not to look at the way his arms bulged as he carried the cooler. I cursed myself for being such a perv.

As we approached the volleyball net we found the boys and girls in an argument over trips that were trying to be kept secret. I shook my head, willing the arguing stop. I walked over and got in the middle, "Will you guys stop screaming at each other, you'll draw a crowd." Everyone stopped for two seconds before beginning again. It was a huge family argument where everyone is screaming over each other trying to be heard. "It doesn't matter anyway, were going on our own road trip," Taylor huffed out. Nate gave me a questioning glance, and I realized I forgot to fill him in on the plans the girls had made on a whim. I gave him an apologetic smile and he thankfully smiled back.