Ch•15- In way over my Head

If you asked me what's the strangest part of my day, being chased by the Hulk is probably the second. Running through New York City in the middle of an alien invasion attack has to be number one. It's kinda scary being shot at by extraterrestrials if you didn't know. I dodged all the tipped cars and frantic people.

     I seemed to be the only one running to Stark Tower rather than away from it. One of the letters from the 'Stark' sign which was probably the K tumbled down from the sky, landing no more than 5 feet away from me. I continued to run until my feet carried me up the stairs to the main entrance of the Tower. The receptionists who usually sit behind the desk in the front lobby had abandoned their post.

     The last fleeing workers of Stark Industries bolted past me for the front door. They ran in to me, bumping me around for a moment. When I regained my balance, I saw the stair well door.

    Let me just say something right now, we have 93 stories to this tower. It will take me... I don't know, eleven hundred years to reach the top.

                                       ***

     I burst in to my living room, falling flat on my knees from pure exhaustion. Sweat matted my brunette hair to my forehead, my legs were shaking from all those stairs that I climbed. I suddenly noticed glass pieces from the window littered the floor of my living room.

     There was a giant whole in the window that over looks New York. I saw Thor standing out on the ledge of the terrace. He looked extremely out of breath and blood stained the armor around his torso. I ran out there "Thor!" I slide open the glass door which was shattered by now. Loki's spear was just laying there on the terrace "Loki" I said breathlessly, picking up the weapon "where is he now?"

"He flew off on one of the Chitauri's speeders" Thor picked up his hammer.

     "Oh, so that's what the Alien race is called" I rolled the spear in my hands "are you alright?" I saw the blood on his armor.

     "Always" he spun his hammer and took off in to the air down towards the ground where the Chitauri were attacking.

     I laid the spear back on the terrace, not knowing where else to put it and retreated back inside. Rhodey sent us dozens of weapons from his Army base back in California. We have a special little closet down the hall filled with guns, rifles, grenades. Dad told me to never go in that closet when we first moved into the Tower for the Summer.

    But I mean, the world could possibly end so I think it's okay to disobey at this point. I typed in the passcode to the lock and opened the closet. How do I know the passcode you ask?
I'm Jessi, I just know things.

I opened the door and started to rummage through the racks.

    "A hand gun" I mumbled "another hand gun, a rifle, a tiny rifle, a big rifle! Grenades! Ugh I'm in weapon heaven" I grabbed like ten grenades and a large rifle which was labeled 'M1 Semi-automatic rifle .30 Carbine. Sounds complicated, eh, I'll figure it out.

     I pulled out one more hand gun just in case before closing the door and jumping back out to the terrace. Even more Chitauri were now falling from the portal and in to the city. Buildings were burning, screams could be heard from all the way up here. I dropped to my knees and began loading the rifle "now... how do I do this?" I asked myself, blindly putting the bullets in to the gun.

    Was that even the right place to put bullets? I shut the compartment and heard the clicking sound, that's a good sign.

    I set the gun up in front of me and peered through the scope. Everything seemed closer looking in there. I could even see Dad and them from all the way from up here. He was below on the street with the rest of the Avengers. They were all standing in a circle, readying their weapons.