Chapter 2: The Journey

This is Sophia above. I hope you are enjoying the story!

My mother screams out for me at the sidelines and my sister starts sobbing. My mind seems disconnected from my body, because I am on the stage, but I don't remember walking up the steps or moving from where I was.

"We now have our three. We will mourn your leaving. May your future be prosperous. You may have 5 minutes to say goodbye to your families and gather any possessions. But a guard will follow you to ensure that you shall not run away. Thankyou." The mayor announces as the girls who were not chosen run off to embrace their families and celebrate their freedom.

Me and the two other girls walk off the stage to be joined by one guard each. When I arrive home, I am knocked backwards by my sister and mother as they hug me. I wrap my arms around them tightly and close my eyes. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry. A tear slips out but I wipe it away quickly so they don't see. I have to be strong or they will be more upset than I am.

The guard coughs and mumbles that I only have a few more minutes to get ready and say goodbye. I push my family away so that I can put my few belongings in a bag. I run up to my room and pack. My little rag doll, a small fairytale book that my grandmother gave to me, the wedding photo of my parents and the silver necklace I found near the river about a year ago. I don't know whose it was but it has:

To my darling, Maybelline.
Our love shines brighter than all the stars combined.
Your one true love,
Richard

Written on the back. I always hoped to find love like that, maybe I still will, but probably with a potted plant in the castle. Or perhaps a rat in the dungeons.

My father bursts into my room and grabs me in a hug. I clutch him hard and tears start to stream out of my eyes.

"Shhhhh. Just let it out." He whispers in my ear. I stop sobbing but still sniffling "Listen to me." He says staring into my eyes, "Stay strong. Be strong for the others. Do what they say, but keep your dignity. Don't let them break you. And remember, me, your mum and your sister love you so much. Never forget that, please."

Suddenly a guard bursts into the room. "Time's up." He says and grabs my arm that doesn't have my bag on. "I love you!" I scream to my family as I'm dragged from my house and thrown into a smelly, dark; wooden carriage. Five other girls are cramped into here as well. Two from my village and the other three from the neighbouring village. The carriage struts suddenly and I watch my family waving me goodbye. Wait, I didn't say goodbye to Ellie! She's my best friend and she's blind, she needs me! I bang on the side of the carriage demanding to be let out but they ignore me completely.

I must fall asleep at some point because I am wakened by a sudden jolt of the carriage. Some of the girls whimper and start to cry while some comfort them. The girl sitting opposite me stares with gloom in her eyes. "We're here. At the castle."