Only You

Paul was left gob-smacked when George had finished elaborating on why his parents were at Liverpool station. He couldn't believe a single word George had said. It didn't seem real.

Firstly, it seemed horribly out of character for Brona. He agreed with George vigorously there, along with John and Ringo. But, then again, she had been acting uncharacteristically recently. Secondly, Paul never knew such bad luck. He was prepared to put his heart back on the line again but the girl he was giving the choice to have or break his heart vanished.

Was this a sign? Was this the very end? Was this the time to finally move on?

"I can't believe it," Paul voiced, shocked.

"Neither can I," George said, staring at his cup of tea. He began to drone on again. He was so stuck that his only hope was repetition. Maybe he'd stumble on something. "Brona 'ad said she wanted a free lance position. I don't think she 'ad planned on leavin'. Something must 'ave caused 'er to bolt."

Ringo shrugged, offering his theory. "Or maybe you just take what ya get. Success doesn't 'appen over night. We know that more than anyone, lads."

The boys fell into a pensive silence, pondering the truthful statement. It was a fitting conclusion to draw from Brona's situation. John punctuated the silence with a sigh. Then George rose, lifting is cup of tea, and suggested that they watched the telly instead. They all began to shift and stir, following George into the living room, bar Paul. He was still seated at the kitchen table, disbelief etched on his features.

"But, you know what the must surprisin' thing is?" said George, bringing the conversation back to his sister's run away as he pushed the living room door open. "There's still twenty minutes before her train leaves and Mam and Dad left her up a 'alf 'our ago. When's that girl ever early for anything?"

The three men laughed heartily, pushing into the sitting room. Paul had a quite different response. A shock wave rocked him, forcing him upright in his seat. His brows furrowed in thought. Brona's train hadn't left. She was still in Liverpool!

"You comin' or what?"

The drummer's voice snapped him back to reality. Paul whipped his head around to see Ringo standing before the door. The shorter man was peering down at him with raised brows as he gestured to the door expectantly. Paul's reply consisted of incomprehensible mumbling. He wasn't sure what he was doing. Ringo saw the misconception he had triggered and his concern increased.

"Umm... I-uh..." 

Paul awkwardly rose from the chair. His body language expressed the decision-making currently carrying out in his head. He appeared jittery and Ringo couldn't help but notice. 

The bassist sighed heavily, his decision made. He straightened himself, his demeanor more purposeful now. "No, Ringo," he paused. His eyes flickered to the floor back to his friend. "I'm goin' to the train station."

Simultaneously, Ringo's blue eyes widened and brows raised. The effect of surprise was brief, however. Ringo had prior been a witness to Paul's rash, and sometimes stupid, judgement when a certain twenty year old girl was involved. The sense to rationalize the younger lad overtook him again. He didn't need a more serious repeat of what occurred at the London station.

"Paul, don't be a stupid git," Ringo said sternly, crossing his arms across his chest. 

He opened his mouth to continue but stopped. He glanced over his shoulder, eyes focusing on the sitting room door as alarm bells went of in his head. The last thing he wanted to do was throw Paul into the deep end. So he inched forward and resumed in a hush voice.