Christmas Countdown

Ever since the first of November, everywhere was screaming Christmas. There was no escaping it. Fortunately, Christmas was Brona's favourite holiday.

Her expectations were set high for the Christmas of 1963. She wanted it to be special and one of the best. No, she didn't want. She needed it to be, because who knew what she'd be doing or where she'd be doing it next year.

Brona wished everyday that her sister would cone hone from America and George's touring would be put on hold so he could be reunited with them for Christmas. How perfect would that be?

Brona missed the four lads dearly, much more than she ever knew she could. It seemed harder during the holidays because she had them with her last year to prepare and celebrate the holidays. Ironically, she was feeling equally awful because that was around the time she was beginning to lose them, Louise and Harry too.

It was funny. She thought because of all the teasing and the fights and the noise that she wouldn't mind having a break from them by living relatively far apart. But there was nothing worse than living so far away from someone you love, Brona realised that now.

She had Peter across the hallway, but who knew how long he'd be there. Harry was only 25 minutes away at most, which was a good distance. Louise however was on a completely different continent and America seemed to differ with the UK greatly. She commended her sister on the move. It was indeed brave, and Brona wouldn't dare to try it.

Then, there was George. 

Soon, he will be resident of London, which wasn't too bad and it gave Brona excuse to go there, but when he was on tour it was a different story. She didn't know where he was half the time. It was scary how fast they moved. One day she'd ring and they'd be in Blackburn, next day it'd be South Hampton. It was even worse when they were flying abroad. She'd been scared of planes since the freak and unfortunate crash that claimed the lives of most of the Manchester Utd. squad in '58 and then, a year later, the same incident claimed the lives of Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly, one her her favourite musicians.

In October, when the Beatles were flying to Sweden, Brona had gotten down on her knees and prayed. It had been the first time George was flying since that one time he flew to Germany for Stuart Stucliffe's funeral, lord rest him. In her hour of helplessness and panic, she prayed.

Taking a shaky breath, Brona kneeled down on her bed and clasped her hands. Her eyes flickered to a picture of her standing in between the four lads, each with a glass in their hand. 

"Dear Lord, I know I didn't 'ave much credit with you - sometimes I'm not sure if your there. But, if you are there, I beg you to keep 'em safe. Amen."

And she worked harder on her faith when George and the lads landed in both Sweden and England without a scratch. It pleased Mrs Harrison, who always encouraged her children to be practicing Catholics as well as being spiritual.

The 8th of December had been a very bittersweet day. It was they day traditionally used get the tree and put up the Christmas decorations in the home. Brona had to admit it was rather sad without John. The Harrisons always insisted of having a real tree every Christmas, something John always wanted to experience but his aunt Mimi would always deny him and get an artificial one. Upon hearing a drunk John admit this to her, Brona invited him along to fetch the Christmas tree with her and her male relatives and that's the way it had been since.

Despite the decrease in helpers, the Harrison Christmas tree stood proudly in the sitting room adorned with red, gold and sliver decorations of every shape and with white fairy lights intertwined on the tree and, of course, neatly wrapped presents lay under the Christmas tree. The family gazed at it in awe, caught up in the warm glow.

The next Saturday morning that followed was spent with more Christmas preparations. 

Brona stood in the kitchen with her new purchase held up to her body for the two women seated in front of her, her mother and her grandmother. Her eyes were lowered to her dress that she got when she was in Manchester, a smile playing on her lips.