Time Will Tell Part 7

Libby sprang out of bed eager for a chance to try out the trees. She followed Nathan down the stairs, rounded the corner, and was met with a scene straight out of Little House on the Prairie. In daylight everything appeared rustic. The countertops might fit in her century, considering they were honed hardwood that was all the rage, but the room lacked other contemporary amenities. Like a dishwasher, a microwave, or a refrigerator with French doors. A potbellied stove took the place of a cook top with oven.

Even Berta fit the part of the mom, who stood at the stove, hair tied back with a kerchief and wearing an apron over a faded calico print dress. “Privy’s out back.” Berta pointed to the door with the long fork she’d been using to turn the bacon.

Libby sniffed the mouthwatering scent. Her stomach gurgled as she headed outside.

She had no trouble finding the BB, or bathroom in a box as she’d dubbed it. Libby made her way back to the house with a newfound appreciation for modern times. The toilet paper looked nothing like paper and there was no running water. She vowed never to take a flushing toilet for granted ever again.

“The washbasin’s on the counter,” Berta said. “Just fill it with fresh water.” The elder woman nodded at the sink and hand pump, which was better than having to get water from the nearby creek.

Libby noticed the bowl. Next to it was a cloth and small towel, along with what looked like a bar of soap. She moved to the sink, picked up the bowl, and started pumping. It was hard work pulling and pushing the handle up and down to get a decent flow. Even worse, it was ice cold. What Libby wouldn’t give for warm tap water.

“There’s a ladle to make it bearable,” Berta said as if reading her mind. Her nod indicated a bucket atop the potbellied stove. “You don’t need much. That bucket stays there during the day.” One by one, Berta added cooked strips of bacon onto a platter, then poured what looked to be scrambled eggs into the hot grease. “All I ask is that you fill it up when the water gets low. Make sure you use a hot pad, though. Otherwise you’ll burn yourself. Also, I put out an extra toothbrush.” She grabbed a wooden spoon and stirred the contents in the cast iron pan. “I cleaned it with lye soap, so it should do for now. The tooth powder’s in the tin right there.”

Libby nodded and murmured her thanks. The toothbrush in question looked worn. Was she supposed to use that? Apparently so.

After washing, she did feel more human. Even the worn toothbrush and salty-tasting powder weren’t too bad, especially since they did help to take away morning breath.

She emptied the basin of dirty water in the big sink, then took in more of her surroundings. Despite the fact that there were few comforts from her century, the scene was cozy. The fireplace across from the stove wasn’t lit this morning, but in her mind’s eye, she saw how warm the room would be once winter set in.

Now done with the eggs, Berta added them to the bacon, set the fork down, and wiped her hands on her apron. With hot pad in hand, she bent to take biscuits out of the oven before placing them in a napkin-lined basket.

“All ready.” Berta smiled and picked up the huge platter containing bacon, ham, sausage, and eggs that still sizzled and smelled heavenly.

Libby’s stomach growled again. “Do you need any help?”

“No, child, I’ve been doing this a long time. You’ll be working hard enough in no time.” Berta’s smile softened. “You just sit there and enjoy a hearty breakfast.”

Libby pulled out her chair as the rest of the family filed in. Berta set the food on the table and joined them.

After a quick blessing, Libby ate with zest, preparing for the strenuous work ahead. She wasn’t willing to take any chances on not meeting Gus’s expectations.