Time Will Tell - Part 27

“I guess we should open them and find out what happened,” Sam Thorpe said after passing out three letters and staring at the one addressed to him.

Bev peered in silence at the envelope in her hand. Her eyes misted.

The tearing of envelopes rent the air before the sound changed to rustling as she, like the others, began reading.

Dear Bev,

This is the hardest letter I’ve ever written. As I put pen to paper, it dawns on me that I will no longer be able to confide in you, share drinks at Giorgio’s with you, or hug you. Your friendship gave me the courage to find my destiny and meet my fate. Without you in my life, I wouldn’t have had the guts to do so.

You deserve more than a text saying good-bye, for sure. My main regret is not waiting that afternoon to give you one more hug and kiss good-bye. I was too worried I wouldn’t be able to get back to Colin and forgot to take time for what was important. I hope you will forgive my impulsive selfishness.

I miss you so much and probably will for the rest of my life. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Never a day goes by when I don’t think—what would Bev do—or what would Bev say to that? I’m smiling right now because I’m imagining your own smile as you wish me well, only too glad I had the spirit to follow my dreams.

Those dreams led me to Colin Thorpe. Once I found him, I couldn’t give him up. He’s become my life. I know you’ll understand and be happy for me. My biggest wish for you is that you find your destiny. I pray fate gives you a love like I have with Colin. Bear in mind, your love for me is what I will always remember and cherish most. You always believed in me and I’ll always believe in you.

Your loving friend,

Libby Edwards Thorpe

PS: We’ve changed the name of Colin’s farm to Twin Oaks because the trees are what brought us together. We’ve left explicit instructions about them, so they will still exist in your time. I’ve begun a journal, to be buried in the box when I die, along with an indisputable copy of Twin Oaks’s deed, ending my original quest.

Dead silence permeated the room while the occupants absorbed the meaning of their letters.

A couple of tears had dropped to the page as Bev had read, and just as Libby had predicted, she felt her smile widen.

Sam’s voice intruded on the silence. “My God, it doesn’t seem possible even with proof.” He finished his and handed it to Doug, shaking his head.

Stunned, Dave appeared to have lost his voice.

Tom wiped a hand over his eyes and offered his letter to Bev. They exchanged and both continued reading.

Dear Dad,

I have taken my time writing this because when I decided to return to 1874, I thought I could easily leave you without regrets. We were never close and I always felt as if I had let you down somehow. Over time, I’ve realized I do have a few regrets overshadowed by the fact that we never understood each other.

Now that I’m a mother with more wisdom, I can view your motives in a different light. I know you loved me and only wanted my happiness. I am happy. I am where I want to be and my life is complete with Colin Thorpe. All of this must be hard to imagine. Traveling through time is a little unbelievable. My only wish was to find a place where I belonged. Once I discovered that place, I had to stay.

I began a journal with the details of my life. As I age, I’ll record my thoughts and those thoughts will always include you. Please try to forgive my actions, understand them, and be happy for me.