Time Will Tell - Part 23

The room seemed empty when Libby awoke. She vaguely remembered Colin easing out of bed earlier and telling her he wouldn’t be long. He promised they’d have the rest of the day together once he concluded his business. She got up, moved to the bathroom, and finished her morning rituals. Her riding habit was the easiest thing in her small wardrobe to put on without help. She slipped it on, shaking her head at the ridiculousness of how much energy it took to dress.

After impatiently pacing the length of the room, Libby finally sat in a chair near the window to wait for Colin.

She checked her timepiece and noted only a half an hour had passed, yet it felt like two. The sun rose higher above the horizon. It was too glorious a day to be inside. Decision made, she hurried out into the hallway.

At Giselle’s room, she rapped on the door several times with no response. Figuring she must still be sleeping, Libby glanced longingly toward the staircase. The outside beckoned. Colin’s warning about going out alone pricked her conscience, yet it would take too long to wait for Giselle. What could it hurt to take a quick walk on such a perfect morning?

Fresh air greeted her and sunshine warmed her face as she strolled up the block, enjoying the quiet. Most of the shops were closed and the streets were empty of both people and animals. When she reached a cross street, a view of the river caught her attention.

A big riverboat, its paddles slowly pushing the boat north, was a sight to see. It reminded her of the Belle of Louisville in her own time, and viewing one in the right setting was captivating. Libby continued walking toward the water, not paying attention to her surroundings until she neared the banks and realized she was utterly alone. She looked around. Everything looked peaceful. Still, something about the stillness bothered her, and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end.

Birds chirped and bees buzzed, but the sounds did little to ease the sense of dread that shot through her. Feeling a little out of her element, she turned to retrace her steps as Colin’s warning replayed in her head.

Someone yelled. She glanced behind her and noted a group of young teen boys headed her way. The thought that they were just kids and shouldn’t concern her quickly changed to alarm once she noticed their menacing expressions.

“Looky here. See what the river’s drug in, Jessie.” Libby took a closer look at the kid who’d spoken and realized he was older and most likely their ringleader. “Looks like we got us a bird ripe fer th’ pluckin’.”

“Yeah, Kid, look at her in her fancy getup. I bet she’s got sumthin’ worth stealin’. ”

“My thinkin’ exactly.”

The boys were still a ways from her when she turned around to walk backward up the hill. “Aren’t you a little young to be leading kids to accost innocent people taking in the sights,” she asked the obvious leader of the pack, piercing a pair of hard eyes with her bold stare.

With every hurried step, Libby worked at maintaining a safe distance, veering in the direction of Main Street. Fear had her heart pumping, but she’d die before she would show that emotion.

“We’re old enough and they do what I tell them,” Kid answered, not taking his eyes off her.

“What happened to playing stickball or kick the can?” She only hoped she could keep him talking until she reached Main Street.

“Looks can be deceivin’.” His laugh held no humor. “Stickball’s a little dull for th’ likes of these brats. Like me, they prefer more sportin’ games.”

“So confronting someone alone is sporting to you? Where’s the challenge in that? Seems to me you guys are just a big bunch of bullies.”

“Doesn’t matter what ya call us, we’ll still be takin’ yer purse. Hand it over.”