Time Will Tell - Part 21

A bubble of excitement warmed Libby’s insides. This adventure with Colin would continue at an old-fashioned ball tonight. Well, it wasn’t old-fashioned for now, but to her it would be like stepping into a painting from times long past.

Someone abruptly stepped too close to her, and she had to pull hard on the reins of Colin’s saddle horse. Riding single file along Third Street behind Colin and with Giselle following, she weaved in between two horse-drawn wagons parked on opposite sides of the dusty road that had suddenly become crowded with a different kind of traffic than what she was used to.

The din was totally different from twenty-first century Louisville. There were no interstates or congested streets with cars buzzing, horns honking, or sirens blaring to interrupt the quiet. In fact, the sounds seemed amplified without the background traffic muffling the noise of other activity. People shouting, horses neighing, dogs barking, and wagons rumbling carried on the air for blocks.

Libby tried not to gawk at the incredible sights. Dressed in a rainbow of colors, people walked along the sand-colored road. It was like seeing a Monet painting come to life. Everything moved at a much slower pace here. She wondered if she’d ever get used to seeing the formality of the late nineteenth century. Even more amazing, they all seemed so comfortable. She stretched her legs farther into the stirrups and took a deep breath. Her riding habit wasn’t too bad, except for the corset. She’d never get used to wearing one.

Eventually Third Street widened and the traffic thinned. By the time they reached the outskirts of town, they were the only ones on the road.

Libby glanced around at the peaceful scenery. It was quiet enough to hear birds chirping and insects buzzing.

“I can’t get over how different it all is,” she said to Colin as he came to a stop beside her.

He nodded. “I can’t imagine what the area will be like in a hundred years. You’re lucky. You’ve glimpsed both past and future.”

Colin dismounted, helped both her and Giselle off their mounts, then led the horses to a tree and tethered them to a branch.

Libby turned a full circle, taking it all in. She pointed. “I think the twin spires are located in that area. I have no point of reference, so I can’t be certain. Just think. This is where the tradition begins.”

“Twin spires? Hmmm.” His eyes followed her hand. “They’ll start on it soon. The grandstand will be over there. The track should be ready for the spring meet.”

Giselle sighed. “I cannot wait. I love going to the horse races. We went many times in France. There is nothing so exciting as watching the horses run, especially when your horse wins.”

“So, you’re a gambler?” Colin teased.

Giselle’s lips curled into a sly smile. “Oui, we all become gamblers when we go to watch thoroughbreds run, n’est-ce pas? And after seeing such beauties, picking one to win cannot be avoided.”

Colin grinned. “I never imagined you as a gambler. Maybe you’re not such a good influence over my Libby after all.”

Snorting, Libby swatted at his shoulder. “I hate to break it to you, but I’ve already been to the track. Too many times to count. Giselle’s right. The minute you view the horses from the grandstand, you can’t help but become a gambler.” Libby sighed, remembering the fun she and Bev used to have. “There is nothing like a day at the races. Even when you lose, you don’t mind because it is so entertaining.”

“My, my.” Colin shook his head, tsk-tsking. “The temperance ladies would have a field day with you two. I suppose you both drink to excess, too.”