Time Will Tell part 13

Libby hurried along the trail to the big house, having found Berta’s suggestion of a bath in the creek a perfect opportunity to snoop for the deed to Colin’s land. Gus was still at the stables, staying later to work out a guard detail. Nathan was busy with chores.

According to Berta, two older nannies, Minnie and Maizie, were prone to eat in their room and turn in early when Colin wasn’t in residence. Approaching the house, Libby spent a moment looking around, praying the two women weren’t in the parlor.

Everything appeared quiet. Even the insects hadn’t begun to chirp yet. With fingers crossed that the coast would stay clear, she sneaked up the porch steps. She eased the door open and listened. Her heart pounded so loud, she was sure the noise would alert either one of the nannies or another servant. She inhaled deeply, using the technique to calm her nerves. When nothing happened for the longest time, she slipped inside. Afraid to move too quickly, she edged her way along the wall, listening for any noise other than her rapid heartbeat that still hadn’t slowed to normal.

A door opening sounded above and Libby stopped short, her heart in her throat. The pounding inside her chest grew louder as someone on the second floor walked in her direction. Another door opened and total silence followed. Libby stood watching the staircase for the longest time, then quickly ventured toward the study door and slipped inside.

Taking several deep breaths to still her rapid heartbeat, she shook her hands and rolled her shoulders. Being a thief required the kind of gall Libby didn’t think she had. But now that she was here, she had no time to waste questioning her sanity and moved quietly across the room. The large dark wood desk suited a man like Colin, she thought, sitting in his oversized chair and methodically opening the side drawers one by one. It didn’t take much searching to spot a locked strongbox. Figuring the deed was probably inside, Libby continued looking for a key.

At the sound of a thump, she froze with her hand on the locked box on top of the desk. Her gaze flew to the door. When all was silent for an extended moment, she let out the breath she’d been holding and picked up a letter opener to jimmy the lock.

The lock clicked open. Her glee-filled grin broke free, and she couldn’t contain the triumphant excitement running through her. Nestled inside with other documents, Libby found the deed, which she quickly grabbed and stuck inside her shirt. She jiggled the makeshift key to relock the box, put everything back the way she’d found it, and hurried out of the house the way she’d come. Staying near the bushes, she made her way toward the twin oak trees to wish herself home. Hopefully, she’d be able to make notarized copies and then return to replace the deed before anyone knew it was missing. Only then would her task be complete. The thought of being nestled in her own bed in her own century tonight had her rushing.

At the base of one of the trees, she stood and glanced up into its monstrous fully-leaved branches. Closing her eyes, she wished to go home.

Nothing happened. Looking at the trees, she tamped down the rising trepidation and said more forcefully than was necessary, “Come on. You’re supposed to be wishing trees and I’m wishing to go home.” Maybe she wasn’t wishing hard enough. Giving it another try, she closed her eyes and wished with all her might. When that didn’t work she did it again. Several times.

What was wrong? Why wasn’t she going home? The thought of being stuck here sent another streak of fear down her spine. Yet, no matter how much she wished, it did no good. She definitely wasn’t going anywhere tonight. Finally, her shoulders rounded in defeat and she slowly headed back to the smaller house, beyond the big one. There had to be a reason she couldn’t go home. Nothing would let her believe she was stuck in the wrong century. She’d try again later. In the meantime she’d keep the deed hidden and pray no one would realize it was missing.