Time Will Tell - Part 19

The next morning Libby hurried to catch up to Gus as he headed for the stables, praying he hadn’t noticed her guilty expression during breakfast. Heavens, just remembering the time spent with Colin was enough to have her blushing for a decade.

Thankfully, she grabbed a brush to groom one of the soon-to-be trained stallions while Gus got busy elsewhere. Done with her task, she stored the brushes and looked up to see Colin enter the stables. A thrill went through her when his gaze zeroed in on hers and he treaded her way.

“Good morning.” His smile turned sexy…almost suggestive. “I trust you slept well?”

“You know I did.” Heat streaked up her face. “I dreamt of you.” Blushing ruined the effect of the flirtatious huskiness in her voice.

Colin halted inches from her, then took her hand and put it up to his lips. “I’d have slept better if you were with me,” he said before kissing her hand, acting as a Southern gentleman. Yet the rogue she’d made love to last night came alive in his gaze when he refocused on her. “I missed you.”

If Libby’s cheeks were red, the hue had to have just deepened, considering the flames shooting out of his intense blue eyes. Her insides melted at that look. “Shush!” she whispered, glancing around. “Someone could hear.”

Still holding her hand, he guided her to the back of the stall and double-checked for prying eyes. “No one is about.” He leaned in and nuzzled her neck. “I’d tell the whole world if I could. I love you, Libby Edwards. You’d best get used to hearing me say it.”

A feeling of dread crept up her spine and she couldn’t shake it off. As much as Libby loved hearing his declaration, she couldn’t help remembering Gus’s warning. She stiffened and took a step back. Clearing her throat, she pushed a short strand of hair behind her ear. “Don’t forget. I can’t stay.”

He placed his hands on her shoulders to stop her from retreating farther. “I understand, but know one thing. As long as you’re here, I’ll do anything and everything to show you how much you mean to me. Don’t deny me or put up barriers that I’ll have to break down. Doing so will only waste precious time.”

His confidence was clear in the strong tilt to his jaw and his erect shoulders. It should bug her that he was so sure of himself and her, but it didn’t. His assessment was dead-on. “You’re incorrigible.” To change the subject, she asked, “What are you doing here? I’ll be out at the track in a few minutes.”

“Evading again,” he asked, eyeing her.

“Yes.” She fought the grin that broke free. “Now, answer my question.”

Colin chuckled. “That’s my Libby.” He bent his head.

Next thing she knew his mouth caught hers. At first the kiss was gentle, his lips soft. Libby opened herself to the warmth spreading through her. Of their own volition, her arms wrapped around him. He deepened the kiss and it was all Libby could do to hold on to the desire to drop down in the stables and have her way with him.

She tore her mouth away and stared up at him, unable to keep the look of horror off her face. Every time he touched her, she went up in flames. How could this be happening? Dave had never made her forget where she was.

“God, Libby, what have you done to me?” he whispered. “That was meant to be a demonstration for you, not for me.” He lowered his forehead to hers. “I can’t think clearly for want of you. You’ve flown through time to torment me and make me want things I shouldn’t want.”

Tears threatened, but Libby blinked them back. “I don’t mean to.” Her tone was equally distressed. “I feel the same way.”

“Don’t cry.” Colin pulled her closer, cradling her head with his hand. “I shouldn’t have said anything.”