Time Will Tell - Part 26

When Libby’s equilibrium returned, she grinned at the scene before her. Eighteen seventy-four. Exactly as she’d wished. Never had she been so happy to see the familiar oaks without the other trees. She could only marvel over how much this stud farm had come to mean to her in such a short time. Pushing to her feet, she wondered how much time had passed. Hopefully she could spare Colin from enduring her same pain.

Anticipation flowed through her. For the first time since she’d made her decision, Libby was struck with exactly what coming home meant. It meant they could be together. Always. She could be a part of Colin’s life without the fear of ever having to leave again, and they could build their future together. Plan together. Dream together.

She laughed, hugging herself, before turning and running toward the house. At the top of the porch steps, she slowed, surprised to find everything ominously quiet. Were his children in bed already? Maybe she’d been gone longer than she thought.

“Colin,” Libby called out softly, tiptoeing through the dark hallway, stopping at the library door. She hesitated, then knocked. “Colin?” She opened the door and slipped inside.

Slivers of light spilled from the shade-drawn windows, creating shadows in the darkened room. Catching movement, Libby could barely make out Colin sitting behind his desk, holding a filled glass. A decanter of what looked like either whiskey or bourbon was within his reach.

“What’s this? A ghost who’s come to haunt me?” Colin’s anguished whisper filled the air, sending chills down Libby’s spine. “I can’t get you out of my mind and now I’m having visions.” He lifted the glass and took a long swallow. Then he closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, not moving a muscle.

Libby watched in stunned silence, unsure of what to do. “Colin?” She tentatively stepped farther into the room. “Are you all right?”

Colin opened his eyes. In the barely lit room she could see his bleak expression. “Ah, the apparition speaks. ’Tis funny, but you sound just like her. Have you come to torment me more? Is it not enough to haunt my dreams? Now you haunt my waking moments? Maybe if I drink enough, I’ll be able to get you out of my mind. Out of my heart. Out of my soul.” He took another long swig, slamming the glass on the desk. “Go away, vision. Leave me be.” He then leaned back and shut his eyes once more. “I don’t want to feel any more.”

Why was he acting so strange? Apprehension filled her. It couldn’t have been more than thirty minutes since she’d last seen him.

She rushed up to his chair and knelt beside him, taking his hand.

“Colin. It’s me, Libby. I’m not a dream. Open your eyes.”

His eyes opened and in a heartbeat, joy replaced sorrow. “Libby?” He shook his head, as if clearing his mind. “My God,” he whispered. “It is you.” A jubilant smile lit his face and tears lurked at the edges of his eyes. “Somehow you’ve come back to me.” He gripped her wrist, tugging her up and onto his lap. Lowering his head to an inch over hers, he murmured, “How can it be? I saw you disappear.”

Libby closed her eyes as his mouth made the final connection, and poured every emotion she felt into the kiss. This is where I belong, she thought as his strong hands drew her closer. When they broke apart, she softened her smile. “I came home.” She kissed her way up the side of his face, brushing his black hair off his brow and kissing to the lids of his blue eyes. “I wished myself home. Now that I’ve found where I belong, I’ll never leave again.”

“Please, Libby.” Colin wrapped his arms around her, hugging her to him. He laughed, planting kisses everywhere…her face…her chin…her neck…all the way to her ear, whispering in between the kisses, “Tell me you mean your words. I can’t survive another parting.”

“Oh, Colin, I’m sorry I left.”

“I let you go once. I don’t have the will to do it again.” His audible anguish tore her heart in two. “I’ll do whatever it takes to keep you here, by my side, till death do us part. Do you understand?”

Nodding, she met his gaze, hers becoming blurry, wondering how she had any more tears left. “I should have known I could never be happy without you.”

“And I should never have let you go.” Grinning, he stood and rearranged her in his arms. As he carried her toward the door, he said, “You are my life, my love. I need you so much.”

Libby smiled into his shoulder. “My sentiments exactly.”

He took the stairs two at a time.

Once in their bedroom, Libby looked around and sighed. Home. She now had no doubts. Her decision to come home had been the right one. At the four-poster bed, he stopped. His arms went slack. She slid the length of him, well aware of his full arousal signifying the need he spoke of, increasing her own awareness. Her own need.

They came together like two lovers who’d been apart for too long. Neither could stop touching, kissing, stroking, nibbling, as if not believing their good fortune. Within minutes, Colin had Libby naked. Seconds later he rose above her to find his way home.

Libby’s last coherent thoughts before the storm of his passion swept her up were of Colin, of the rightness of loving him, of being in this place and time. Where he was concerned, she gave all she had. He was her love and she was his.

~

When Colin could think again, he lifted off Libby, situating her right where she belonged, with her head on his shoulder, wrapped in his embrace. He kissed her brow, let his head plop on the pillow, then closed his eyes. Now that his mind had cleared, it didn’t take long for his thoughts to gather, as all of the reasons he’d sent her home resurfaced.

“What about my century? And all you hate here,” he asked, the question intruding further into his cocoon of contentment. “Nothing has changed. I meant my words. I won’t see you unhappy.”

Libby put a finger to his mouth, but Colin pushed her hand aside. “Can you truly be happy? Giving up all in your own time?”

He felt her smile.

“I’m not Abigail.” She lifted up on her forearms, leaning close enough for him to see the seriousness in her eyes. “I’m taking responsibility for my choices. I can easily live without twenty-first century advances. What good are they, if I can’t share them with you?”

“What about the restrictions for women here?” Colin countered, still unconvinced. “I have no qualms about you working on the farm in boys’ clothes if that will make you happy. But you can’t wear boys’ attire all the time. I’ll expect you to dress in the evenings, and because of the racetrack, I’ll be traveling back and forth to Louisville. I want you with me so the world will know you’re mine, not hiding here. While in town, you’ll need to dress the part and follow convention. Can you? Can you be happy abiding by those strict rules you hate?”

She lowered her head and kissed him. Thoroughly. Then lifting her mouth, she grinned. “Of course I won’t like it but I accept the rules, and I promise to abide by your wishes when we’re in town. After all, no place or time is ever completely perfect. Besides…” She winked. “I think I like dressing up and looking beautiful for you.”

Colin chuckled. “Libby, you are beautiful to me no matter what. Whether in boys’ clothes or a stunning ball gown, I’ll always see perfection.” Seconds later, their lips met.