The Ultimate "What If...?"

Unsure why this was unpublished when I wrote it [checks notes] ten years ago, but. Oh well. I just realized it and I'm publishing it again now. So, enjoy? I guess?

One-shot exploring the question of "what if Raya was raised by Shanks and Mia on Red Force?" Originally written to commemorate 50 chapters. I think.

____

The East Blue.

A calm ocean among the four Blues, full of lively little islands and young souls aching to grow up and fulfill their dreams. An ocean full of once and future pirates.

Among the collection of tiny islands that dot this sea is Dawn Island, home of Windmill Village, a town accepting of bandits and pirates alike. It's in this peaceful village that we come across the focus of this story.

A fiery little girl by the name of Flynn D. Raya.

***

On a lone ship sailing for the quiet dock sits a girl no older than six. She dangles her legs over the side of the ship, perched on the railing, with her morganite eyes glinting with anticipation. The wind, nothing more than a breath of air, lifts her crimson hair from her shoulders and sweeps it from her bright eyes. Her lips can't help twitching into an excited grin.

She's been waiting for days to reach land.

When the ship pulls alongside the welcoming pier, the girl is instantly on her feet. She jumps down from the railing and picks her way through the crowd of giddy men, who are busy rigging the ship and raising the sails. The girl dives for the first door she encounters, which opens just before she crashes into it.

She ends up hitting the floor and skidding into the wooden frame of a very modest bed.

"Ow," she moans, rubbing her sore temple.

"Raya!"

The girl flips over onto her back and stares up at the woman standing over her. She's petite, around the height of five-four, with luscious blonde hair that glows with golden fire even in the half-light of the cabin. She shares the vibrant pink eyes of the girl splayed out below her, though they are darker with maturity the girl just does not possess at this time.

"Hi Mommy!" Raya giggles, giving her mother an adorable closed-eye smile. "I was looking for you!"

"I can see that." Her mother smiles warmly as she gently lifts the young girl to her feet. "What's got you so excited?"

"Looks like we just hit land!"

Raya and her mother turn to the open door, where a tall man with the same crimson hair as Raya stands. He looks up slightly, casting away the shadow that falls over his dark eyes, spilled over from the straw hat atop his head. His grin is nothing short of infectious.

"Daddy!" Raya squeals in delight. She throws herself at the man, who catches her easily, and wraps her skinny arms around his neck. "Time for an adventure, right?"

The man chuckles. "Hehe, that's right kiddo! Now, where's you sword? You can't have an adventure without your sword!"

"Shanks," Raya's mother tries to interject, "she doesn't really need her--"

"I'll get her!"

Raya squirms free from Shanks' arms and bolts from the room, intent on retrieving the sword her father's just begun to train her with. Shanks chuckles again as his wife glares at him.

"Shanks."

He looks over, and the smile on his lips falters. He is well aware of his wife's temper.