Chapter 4 - I Don't Have The Answers (Part 2)

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED IT!***

YUP. TBDK IS NOW OFFICIALLY BACK ON WATTPAD. BUT IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE ADVANCED CHAPTERS, PLEASE HEAD OVER TO RADISH! APP AVAILABLE IN ANDROID AND IOS. :)

CHAPTER 4 - I Don't Have The Answers (Part 2)

December 31, 2013, 0200 hours
Somewhere along D.C.

Alex's heart beat a staccato rhythm as he drove through the empty streets of D.C. Every chance he got, he stole a glance at the woman sitting beside him. Years passed and still her beauty took his breath away. Television and newspapers didn't do her justice. She was much more beautiful in person.

When the adrenaline from the fight and his shock at seeing Isobel again faded, Alex was able to think a bit more clearly. He reached into his back pocket and took out his phone. He grabbed the Bluetooth device from his dashboard and placed it on his ear. Then, he dialled Hack.

"How'd it go, chief? Ritz- Carlton has gone insane and media are going crazy over this," Hack answered. Before he replied, Alex glanced briefly on the rear view mirror to see if they were being followed. So far, everything's quiet and not a pursuant in sight. He still wouldn't let his guard down, though.

"Call Howard from the Secret Service. Tell him that there's been an attack on the President's daughter. Give him my credentials and tell him that she's with me. I'll bring her over when I deem it safe," Alex replied.

"Got it, chief. But I don't really need to give Howard your credentials, you know? That man knows you like the back of his hand. Alright, I gotta go and make calls. I'll call you when I have something to report!" Hack said before he ended the call.

Alex dropped his phone back on the dashboard of his Camaro and leaned back. From the corner of his vision, he saw Isobel staring at him. "What?" he asked. He kept his eyes on the road for he didn't trust himself to look at her and not recall the past they shared together. He needed his wits right now and she was a big distraction.

"How do you know Howard?" she asked.

"I have a lot of connections," Alex replied tersely. Isobel huffed and turned away from him. She stared at the buildings and houses they passed by while her fingers drummed a rhythm on the interior of his car.

After a few minutes, blue eyes regarded him once more. She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for him to acknowledge her. Alex raked his eyes over her for a few seconds before he turned towards the road.

"By connections, do you mean the Greek drug cartel?" she asked. Alex closed his eyes and prayed for patience. Still, she doubted him. He memorized all her body language years ago and looking at her now, she was clearly on the defensive. And she wanted answers.

Answers he couldn't give her.

"I'm not part of the drug cartel, Isobel," Alex answered in a flat tone. He took another glance at the rear view mirror before he signalled and rounded a corner. The moment he asked Isobel to get in the car, he didn't really know where he'd take her. But sometime while he was driving, he realized he was making his way to Nikos' hotel.

It was an unconscious decision for there were several things on his mind as he drove. At first, he thought he'd just drive around and around until he lost the trail of those pursuing him. But none did and he decided he'll drive her to the White House and deliver her to her father's doorstep.