Chapter 1- Mercenary

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER!***

Note: Timeline. This story stars December 25, 2013 and overlaps with the timeline for TBDMC. During this time, Nikos and Cassia are in greece spending some time together. But it isn't the ending yet. To those who read the published version, the thing in the end doesn't happen yet.

To those reading the Wattpad version, this is the period where Nikos and Cassia are happy and before Hector kidnaps her.

CHAPTER 1- MERCENARY

-❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈-

April 29, 2003
Harvard University
Cambridge, Massachusetts

“The quarterback has the ball! Last thirty second folks. Would this be a win for Harvard this time or will Yale still bring home the bacon?”

The sports commentator turned to his partner who shrugged.

 “It’s a close call. I don’t even know who’ll win! Smith still has the ball-- And he avoided the tackle from Cruz of Yale! Last ten seconds, everyone!”

Both of them took a quick survey of the arena. It was the football finals for Harvard and Yale. It was Harvard’s home court and the place was packed. Students brought streamers, banners and balloons of every kind to show support for their team.

On one side of the court, cheerleaders danced and waved their pompoms.

“This game has already gone into overtime. Will Smith finally break the tie?”

“Nice jump there! Smith passed the ball to Rourke—“

“Ouch! That’s gotta hurt. Rourke is down on the ground but he passes the ball back to Smith in that split second!”

“Smith has it again and he’s running. Everyone in Harvard seems to be praying at this point. All breaths are held as we wait for the outcome—“

“TOUCHDOWN!!!” the two commentators shouted at the same time.

And the crowd went wild.

After that, everything they said was drowned out amidst the raucous cheers from the students.

Alex Smith couldn’t believe his luck. For a few seconds, he just sat there and stared as he tried to catch his breath. The ball slipped from his fingers.

Then all the breath was suddenly knocked out from his lungs as his team mates tackled him to the ground. Their shouts and the students’ shouts were still ringing in his ears as he was hoisted over his team mates’ shoulders and paraded towards the bench.

Everyone chanted his name as confetti flew down from the stands. The trophy was handed to him and he raised it high in the air. He didn’t know it was possible, but the noise increased further as everyone screamed and cheered.

He laughed and jumped down. Then, he raced across the stands to where the cheerleaders danced. They were all pretty and they threw themselves at him but he had eyes for only one: Isobel Clayton.

He rushed towards her and swung her up in his arms.

“Alex!” she hissed. She playfully smacked his shoulder as he swung her around.