21: The Eyes of a Seer

One thing would be fixed, or at least to Fred one thing would be better than usual. Like the last few lessons, he carried Of Sight and of Fortune in one arm with his other hand intertwined with Ivory's. No matter what the older students thought, the act was of friendliness. If any of them thought otherwise, there would be an act much less friendly that happened to involve Fred's nearly perfected Silent charm.

Ivory kept glancing over at him for reasons he knew not of. The simple glances ever so often were without reason he could see. He thought she had wanted to hold the textbook as ridiculous as it sounded. She declined at his silent gesture asking the very question, grinning slightly.

"No, Fred, I do not want to carry the mythical wonders contained in those pages."

Fred rolled his eyes. "Alright then, I was just thinking Divination is your thing..."

"Indeed."

By now, they had reached the classroom door. He held the door open for Ivory and stepped in after her. The high temperature that came with that simple action met their skin as soon as their feet crossed the threshold. He placed the book onto the desk where Professor Trelawney sat and joined her to be followed by Ivory.

"So, you brought that here again," the professor said rather stiffly.

For an instant, Fred was not sure if she was talking about the textbook or Ivory. His answer came a moment later when Trelawney stared at the book in a manner of great dislike.

"Yes, I thought, it might come in handy."

"Handy? Dear, use your brain. There are things in this very room more handy than that piece of evil you call a book!"

Ivory attempted to hide her smirk, replacing it with a sigh. "Professor, we know, Fred isn't all that smart for a Ravenclaw; though I do have to agree the textbook did help us before, it might help us now."

"If by help, you mean confuse me more than I already am," Fred said under his breath.

"If you say so," said the professor. She gave the book another look. "I'm not touching it."

Fred grinned and slid the book closer to him. He turned the pages hurriedly to the page with the Aquila morte. He read the lines he had read many times before, killing by Sight. He was about to turn the page when Professor Trelawney gasped.

"Y-your - look!"

Ivory's head turned away from the empty tea cups on the shelf to Fred's face. He personally did not know what all this fuss was about. Ivory stared and stared at his face. Finally, she walked over and handed him one of the cups she filled with water.

"Look."

And look he did. At first, Fred saw nothing but his expression of confusion. The ripples of water stilled and he looked again. No, that couldn't be. But it was. His brown eyes had brightened considerably in the few minutes he had spent looking at the eagle. The pupils had widened too and he was still for once.

"I-I beg your pardon?" Fred blurted.

"Your eyes, didn't you see your eyes?"

"Yes, professor, I did. They're rather marvelous, if I say so myself."

"They are anything but marvelous," Ivory said.

"Well, they looked that way to me."

"Children, stop the fighting," Professor Trelawney cut in. "His eyes are marvelous to some and not so to others. They can change, certain times in life. Those eyes of his I have seen only once before in the eyes of a Seer."