22: Eagle of a Raven

Fred had begun to have second thoughts about the Aquila morte matching the bird representing Ravenclaw. Surely, there were both eagles and maybe the one in the tea cup had matched up with the one on his chest, but what about the one before, the one in flight that had attacked him that day in the hall? He was not sure what to think of it. After further conversation with Ivory about the matter, he was beginning to think the attacker had been a vision itself.

He walked down the corridor, thoughts spinning in his head. That shaking of his had started up again, but he was almost used to it. Ivory was several steps ahead of him, chatting with her cousin. Fred watched as the two of them argued in a nearly joking matter, a way not too unlike the way Ivory and Fred did. He was not jealous despite this; he and Ivory would certainly argue that way at their destination of dinner in the Great Hall.

And argue they did, though it was rather lacking of a joking matter.

"Ivory, why exactly do you think the Aquila morte thing and the Ravenclaw look alike?"

"Fred, it's a bird, not a thing. And you saw it too - it matches up perfectly."

"What's a bird?" Ernie interrupted. "Y'know, my mum is a bird watcher."

Ivory ignored him. However, Fred did not:

"Birdwatcher? You mean, like the Muggle thing?"

"Yeah." Ernie nodded enthusiastically. "She is a Muggle. My dad's not, which I guess explains where the magic came from." 

Ivory looked at the two of them. "Why are we talking about a bird watcher of all things?"

"I thought you were interested in Muggles and their mundane ways," Fred mocked.

"Well, if that sister of yours is right, Ivory, Fred here is - well, he's not all Muggle," Ernie said. "I mean, you're a Weasley, are you not?"

"Yes, I am," Fred said.

"Which?"

"Both, a Weasley and a Mudblood."

Ivory stared at him. "Fred, do not let me hear you say that again."

"Fine, mum."

"I would prefer not to hear that either."

"Is there anything you would like to hear?"

"Like the birds chirping? You know, it is hard to hear them when you are talking," Ernie said before she could answer.

"Actually, hearing the birds chirp would be nice," Ivory told him.

"Where's your cousin?" Fred said, changing the subject. He took a slice of bread and munched it.

"I do not know at the moment. Probably in the library reading."

"Yeah, the restricted section." Fred high-fived Ernie.

"Boys," Ivory sighed.

"Girl," said Fred.

Ernie stared at the two of them. He looked away when Arnold sat down next to them.

"Nice of you to show up."

"Nice to see you too, Weasley." Arnold took out the Transfiguration textbook and furiously scribbled onto the piece of parchment nearest.

"Still working on that 'figuration of yours?"

"Like you have finished it." Arnold Liver paused in his writing and looked at the plate of food before him. "Hash?"

"Yeah, hash and 'figure go best together," Fred said, taking a bite of hash browns himself.

"Thanks, Fred."